Help planning first trip to France

Not for a first time who doesn’t speak French. You’ll depend on a concierge who speaks English. So stay at an American chain like Hilton or Marriott.

You don’t speak French. Don’t rent a car - you’ll find the signage confusing at best, and if you have an accident or damage to the car, you’ll be at the mercy of those who speak French. Take the train. Besides, Paris is a HORRIBLE city for driving. You’ll get to Reims faster by train without the worry.

Having spent a lot of time in Paris and out, I agree 100%. Do NOT over estimate how much you can do on this trip with jet lag. Everything always takes more time when checking in/out of hotels, transporting between cities, etc. So don’t waste your time trying to move somewhere else.
Versailles is a 30 minute train ride. Chartres is a bit over an hour. These both make great day trips. But chances are you’ll have too much to see in Paris to do both.

What is your daily budget for hotel + dining? That will impact recommendations for both.

But if you plan to go outside Reims at all - which we did, for example, to Ay, Epernay, etc - you need a car. We rented from Orly and drove to Reims, and having the car was absolutely essential for our trip. I don’t speak French, nor does my wife, and we did just fine [cheers.gif]

I only speak English (and Chinese) and have driven through France, Germany, Italy, Croatia, Slovenia, etc without issue… get a good GPS.

I have not driven in England though… scared to death… :wink:

With the exception of Paris, I didn’t find driving in France is particularly stressful. The signs are pretty easily navigated and a GPS makes your life easy. The one hitch is that it takes much longer to cover long distances than you will be used to in the states.

My issue with focusing on Paris is purely a matter of time. You have a pretty short window, especially with the jet lag. Taking the better part of a day out of your short trip for packing and transit just doesn’t sound like a winner. That said, if you are focused on Champagne, don’t be afraid of renting a car. Sixt or Europecar are good options that Americans often ignore.

I don’t really agree with the need to stay in an American chain hotel. French innkeepers in smaller places were universally accommodating. And philosophically speaking; you are going to France to experience France. Forego the big, spacious room. Go with coffee and a croissant instead of the breakfast buffet. Take the metro instead of taking taxis. Try to downshift. Spend plenty of time sipping a coffee/wine and just luxuriating in the vibe.

This is why I like an apartment. You get a big room at a small hotel price. I rarely use a concierge anywhere these days except to book a car. Information is easy to come by with the internet. Language is not really a problem. Learn the polite words and you’re OK. Plus, many rentals come with concierge services if you need them. You can have a nice breakfast at the corner cafe. You can bring home something from a market and eat in if you want. You can wash your clothes in your room and enjoy an American style shower. You may even make friends with a neighbor. No comparison in my book unless you’re going for the very top hotels, and even then I’d give it some serious thought. I also agree about the Metro. No need for any other transportation around central Paris.

When you guys say “apartment” do you mean VRBO or Airbnb type apartment? or anyone got a link to these apartments?

I usually stay at the Westin or the Intercontinental on points… but if someday i have to pay it’d be good to know…

Anyone here stayed at the park vendome in paris?

Worth the extra 5K in points over the hyatt Madeleine?

I think the Rodin museum is a can’t miss. Easy to get to on the subway.
This thread is making me jealous, it had been years since my last trip to Paris.

Fly to Paris. Connect to Rome. Enjoy. [wink.gif] [snort.gif]

P.S. I used to live in Appleton.

Must see’s in Paris:

Rodin Museum
Musee Marmatton
L’Orangerie
Eiffel Tower (at night and during the day)
Arc du Triomphe (at night and during the day)
Musee D’Orsay

As I mentioned above, I’ve stayed in hotels and apartments in Paris. Unless I’m with my kids where I need two rooms and some space it’s a no brainer to stay in a hotel. Who wants to make their own bed or do their own laundry on vacation? It’s a waste of precious time. As to being able to eat in if desired? You’re in Paris. I would eat out seven times a day if possible (and sometimes it is possible). I have no desire to cook my own meal even with some of the great markets.

Timely article on paris bistros.

For a day trip:

Great advice from everyone. My wife gave the trip two thumbs up last night, so we are into the more serious planning mode. We looked on VRBO last night and there are some very nice looking apartments for rent for quite reasonable prices. For various reasons, I think we will go this route and spend the trip in Paris with some day trips to surrounding sites. We’ll leave Reims and other sites for the next trip.

A couple of questions:

1. For those who have rented apartments in Paris, which Arrondissement provides the best combination of neighborhood, access to sites and restaurants?
  2. Any experience with Economy Plus on Air France?
  3. We were thinking of seeing an opera while there. Any comments on experiences at the Paris Opera, buying tickets in advance, etc.?

Merci!

I can’t comment on the Opera or Econ Plus on AF (though Biz was pretty good last time I took it), but for apartments I really like the 9th near Pigalle. Lots of small market streets, some great small wine bars and restaurants and shops, and (egad!!) the coffee scene has improved markedly thanks to Coutume Cafe roasters.

But seeing as this is your 1st trip, I would suggest the 5th or 6th, especially near Rue Monge or Odeon. You can walk down Monge practically to Notre Dame, and there’s lots of old winding streets to wander through. It’s the older part of the city, so very historic/picturesque. It’s also a bit touristy, but that’s to be expected in that area.
Cheers! [cheers.gif]

Isn’t Pigalle a bit noisy at night compared to the area near the Sorbonne or Luxembourg Gardens?

It depends where you are. On side streets, it’s actually pretty quiet. I wouldn’t rent a place on Boulevard Clichy or Place Pigalle, that’s true. But plenty of smaller streets that are quietly charming, especially south of Pigalle. Up the hill on Rue des Abbesses it gets loud, but that’s a major market street (with 2 good patisseries, a great wine bar/shop, and a few decent roast chicken places).

I rented a place on Rue Duperre earlier this year, and it was quiet, aside from a little noise on one weekend. There’s an organic market that had good produce at Place Pigalle, a great bakery and coffee shop on Rue Monier, and of course the very good market street Rue des Martyrs was a few blocks away.