Heathrow question

It’s not about hardship, I like to lie ‘almost flat’ and watch movies, particularly on day flights where a snooze might help with jetlag.

Yes VS certainly has a few handsome chaps on board!

Now back when they still had the in flight massages… :wink:

Thank you. Figured I needed about 2.5-3 hrs to get from terminal to terminal with checked bag retrieval and recheck in at another carrier.

another vacation you fancy pants?

I fly Virgin upper (Balla!) 1 - 2 times a year into Heathrow and always connect on another flight - if you stay focused and determined you can easily make it to your new terminal in less than 1 1/2 hours. Doing it again this Friday flying into Rome. VS to connecting BA - terminal 5 to terminal 3 and our scheduled connection is 1 hour 35 minutes. The only drawback is we can’t spend any time in the VS lounge which is outstanding at LHR.
I am lucky to accumulate a lot of Amex miles thru work so 100,000 miles roundtrip (- 25% transfer bonus in effect now which makes it 80,000 miles net) is a great deal for a bed that I can actually sleep in. I am 6’-0" and about 180 pounds going, 190 coming back [wink.gif].

Something interesting I just learned this week - Delta owns 49% of Virgin. My sister booked a flight with Delta and they put her on a VS flight which is an upgrade in my mind. [winner.gif]

Tom, this post interests me. We are planning a trip to Italy, using Amex points, and I really need to book soon. I had planned on DL direct; did you consider that instead of changing in London? I HATE the hassle and stress of making connections, but I fear that DL business is not going to come close to the comfort of Virgin Upper.

Has anyone flown DL business transatlantic? Any feedback on service levels?

Neal - you have to check out both options. From the left coast Delta does not do direct but if booked through them then bags go straight through (1 stop). 125,000 + about $150 in fees for upfront but the service and cabin pale in comparison to Virgin (but they might put you on a VS flight now).

Virgin from left coast 80,000 miles (with transfer bonus) + $1,000 in fees (Heathrow tax), full bed, lounge access but have to retrieve bags in London. I am able to get 7 - 8 hours of sleep on way over which is a big bonus for jet lag so worth it for me. Coming home bed not as important since flying during the day- sometimes we will fly business on Air France (same miles) or Prem Econ on Virgin for less.

Check out options from your city and do what makes the most sense. Most Int airlines are much better than domestic on all levels.

Makes sense Tom. I can’t sleep on a plane no matter what the config, but at 6’2" (and with a 6’5" son) premium coach is not an option for a long flight. There are really no direct flights from DC to anywhere in Italy (UAL has one and Lufthansa has one, both to Rome). That means connecting through London or NYC. Pick your poison.

Being 5’6" finally has an advantage. My wife and I are traveling World Traveler Plus (premium coach) upstairs on BA’s 380 (LAX-LHR-ATH-HER, JMK-LHR, LHR-LAX, that’s Los Angeles-Heathrow-Athens-Crete, Mykonos-Heathrow, Heathrow-Los Angeles) for $2500 each, including a week stopover in London on the way home. Hard to beat for that price.

WOW. Sounds like a great trip!

Going from east coast to Europe, I’d do MR points to krisflyer and book suites class to Frankfurt transferring onto wherever your final is.

If you don’t want to dive into all the details hire an award booking service to search all of your options and come up with something that works. Since you are using MR points, there are plenty.

Thanks. I have a bazillion Amex points.

Does anyone have a service they have used with success? I never such a thing existed (Don’t tell Hammer; he may never speak to me again)

I haven’t used a service but if I were I’d use Gary’s (view from the wing) or Ben’s (one mile at a time) service without hesitation.

http://bookyouraward.com

http://www.pointspros.com

Thanks Tyler!

Lucky enough to to fly F on Etihad A380 today. It’s the best seat on commercial F I am sure, the wine list isn’t really up to scratch, but the seat, with a (separate, perpendicular) full bed (not convertible seat) is unparalleled.

The new apartment does look pretty nice, I’m hoping once they take delivery of more 380s that they put it on a long haul route like auh-lax.

I flew Lufthansa (FRA > YVR) on a 747-8 that had that configuration.
I prefer it to the Emirates “suites” on their A380’s.

While the configuration of seat and seperate bed is the same the etihad apartment is on a whole new level compared to anything else.

Though I did miss the lack of a full recline…

Agree. Or AA LAX to LHR so you get the AA transatlantic miles and then LHR to CDG.

AA awards miles for transatlantic flights on BA. Started a few years ago.