Haut-Brion

Agreed. A exercise to beat one’s chest about self-importance. In other words, public masturbation.

Francois,

if this is the proof that rich people are price sensitive on a high level also I would find this reassuring. But I am not sure if this is really the case. I was in Florence a few days ago and read comments about the 3 stars Restaurant Enoteca Pinchiori. I had Lunch in this Restaurant many years ago because it was a special deal - if I remember correctly 3 times cheaper than for dinner and a special deal for the wines also. Today the cheapest white wine on the list seems to be 200 Euro and the cheapest red 400. And that is Tignanello, a wine that can be had for 75 Euro at your retailer. The Restaurant seems to be successful anyway. Or check the wine lists of fine US restaurants like Eleven Madison Park or French Laundry. If guess the 1989 Haut Brion won´t be cheaper than in the restaurant Clarence, Paris.

I couldn’t agree more, François.

I also lament what’s happened to the former Château l’Arrosée, which made some lovely wines back in the day.