handwash vs dishwasher cleaning

As everyone in this thread has confirmed, it’s obviously just fine to do…but throwing my nice glasses in the dishwasher scares the hell out of me.

All hand washing here at my house.

I never had a dishwasher so I always wash everything by hand. Pots, pans, silverware, dishes and stems. It’s only two people, but even when we have company, I can clean up in the same amount of time it would take to rinse things and put them into a dishwasher so I never understood the appeal.

And as far as getting cut - you can get cut with knives too. I wash those by hand as well.

I’m 90/10 hand washing vs dishwasher for the stems. I find that they just come out better hand washed, and as Jeremy said, with small children at home there’s often not room in the dishwasher anyway.

For decanters I use 1L erlenmeyer flasks (all 750’s, no mags). They are cheap and I can put them on the bottom rack of the dishwasher to clean them.

Dishwasher. Will hand wash if it is just a couple of glasses. Decanter hand wash.

JD

Like anything else, I have a system. I use two microfiber towels, one in each hand, to dry. Therefore the risk of needing Noah’s services is virtually zero.

Zaltos and other ‘tougher’ glasses I’ll put in the dishwasher…my big Riedel Somms are hand washed, and decanters get a scrub and a couple Efferdents.

I did get these stem holders to use in the dishwasher, they work really well and I haven’t had a single broken glass. http://www.amazon.com/Quirky-Tether-Stemware-Saver-Dishwasher/dp/B005Z49FKW No affiliation or anything, wife actually found them.

I suspect the dishwasher you have also has something to do with it…I’ve washed stems in probably 4 or 5 different brands over the years, and some are rougher on them (broken stems sometimes) than others.

me too
btw Berg, Kyser just turned 10 and is still drinking Burgundy. He looks great!

Great to hear Scott! Keep feeding him La Tache and he might just turn out immortal [wink.gif] That pic will always be my avatar, unless I get a pic of him having RC at some point!

I think most crystal now has less lead than it used to. Glass with a lot of lead tended to go cloudy with dishwasher cleaning in the past.

A footnote to my comment above about using the dishwasher: I wash my big Riedel Burgundy stems by hand, as they are delicate and old enough that the lead content was probably higher.

Cast iron frying pans and wine glasses should never be warshed. Yer scrubbin away years of character and history. All my wines taste complex. Even water tastes complex in my glasses.

This.

George Chadwick » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:35 pm
Cast iron frying pans and wine glasses should never be warshed. Yer scrubbin away years of character and history. All my wines taste complex. Even water tastes complex in my glasses.

And a bit of this.

My fiancee has a beeeutiful cast iron pan, and her mother hates it. No one is allowed to wash it. If they do, then I have to re-season it.

I take care of it. [swearing.gif]

My fiancee has a beeeutiful cast iron pan, and her mother hates it. No one is allowed to wash it. If they do, then I have to re-season it.

Does her mother cook? If so, what would she use instead for stuff like steak, chops, chicken, stir-fry, stew, marinara sauce, etc.?

The only skillets I have are cast iron. I use them almost daily and have been doing so for many years. The pans have been in the family, used many times a week, since probably the 1950s. They get used for just about anything I can think of. The only thing I don’t use it for is poaching white fish with white wine. But if I’m poaching it in tomatoes or making some kind of stew like a boeuf bourguignon or braised short ribs, it gets used. What else? Stainless steel scorches and the non-stick pans warp after a few uses and you can’t use hard objects to scrape them.

I wash the pan every time I use it. As did grandma and Mom. Otherwise the pancakes I’m eating right now would taste like the pork chops and jalapenos and cumin that I had last night.

Cast iron is hardy stuff. It’s not delicate. People obsess too much about seasoning. If you don’t buff the surface with some kind of grinder, you have to work really hard to remove the seasoning. You’ll put it back the next time you use the pan.

The seasoning is not a layer of oil that will be washed off. It is polymerized fats and oils and carbon, none of which will be easily washed off with detergent.

That’s the case whether it’s an old pan or one of the crappier pans of today, like something from Lodge.

If it’s just a couple of glasses, hand vs machine often depends on whether there’s room in the dishwasher. If there are a lot of glasses after having people over, it is always the dishwasher. 7th Generation dishwashing powder is free of fragrances and other junk, and works well with stemware.

The water here is rock-hard; adding a splash of vinegar to a load of dishes goes a long way in preventing the dull film on glassware.

Finally, besides being convenient the dishwasher also santitizes glasses.

Yes, and then she will scrub it down as best she can.

Happened to me once. Jim almost warshed my skillet. Had to stop him. When Cousin Bob the coroner showed up in that dumb lab coat I was skeered the part of the blade
that was still in Jim’s ribs might have my fingerprint on it. Verdict was heart attack and mistake of law.

My favorite knife too. Never warshed it. Now it’s broke.

I use the dishwasher for any stems that fit. Others are hand washed with minimal Ivory liquid. Hand dried carefully with a cotton towel. Have you ever twisted the bowl off of a stem?

Always wash the cast iron pan. Greg is right!

Knives get washed by hand.

cast iron pans - deglaze, then kosher salt and hot water
knives - soap and hot water and always hand dry
glasses - hard soap, hot water
decanters - hot water
however glasses (irregularly) and decanters (often) should be cleaned by dissolving polident in them and letting the stains bubble out as someone above said.

I switched years ago to dishwasher for all my glasses (mostly S-Z titanium crystal), and it’s just been way better for me. Cleaner, fewer spots, less effort, less breakage, no risk of injury. I don’t really know why I ever used to hand wash them - I guess I thought and was told somehow I was supposed to.

Nor a glass unless you’re a brute!

By coincidence, about an hour after posting on this thread, I went to a flea market and there for the asking were two old cast iron pans of sizes I didn’t have. By the logo they probably dated from the 1960s. They were exactly what you’d want. Took them home and spent about 30 minutes sanding them out and getting them nice and shiny, removing the rust and crud. Then washed them to get out all the dust, dried them, put in a little oil and heated them on the stove. Let them cool, wiped out the oil, and used them to make dinner. Used three times since and they’re now as good as if they’d been seasoned for years.