Halfway there...what's your WOTY?

1982 Cheval Blanc
1988 DRC Grands Echezeaux

Confuron 2002 Romanee St. Vivant

Clos St. Jaques 2011 of Rousseau.
Strong performance, maybe the best Burgundy in fruit I ever tasted.
It was so good that I opened 4 of them to this point.
Lovely.

85 Krug Clos du Mesnil
83 Salon (magnum)
94 Coche Dury Perrieres
76 DRC Richebourg
85 DRC Grand Echezeaux
90 Rousseau Chambertin
96 Claude Dugat Charmes Chambertin
82 Cheval Blanc

2002 Peter Michael Les Pavots

My own bottles:
From the CT ratings I gave it was a tie:
1999 Chateau Montelena Cabernet Sauvignon The Montelena Estate wine
2009 Alysian Wines Pinot Noir Rochioli Vineyard Edgewater
One point behind the leaders:
2009 Williams Selyem Pinot Noir Flax Vineyard (2009 must have been a good vintage in the Russian River Valley)
2007 Joseph Swan Vineyards Zinfandel Mancini Ranch
2007 Larkmead Cabernet Sauvignon

From tastings:
2000 Chateau Pichon Longueville Baron and 1996 vintage of the same
1998 Chateau Palmer
2009 Domaine Faiveley Corton “Clos des Cortons Faiveley” Grand Cru

2009 Clos Rougeard (Foucault) Brézé

You got a tasting note on that one?

I’ve never had a Jadot which wasn’t somewhere in the narrow range between insipid and uninspired, but I am open to the idea that some strange miracle happens in the cellar, and eventually something interesting happens.

It was opened in advance by the fellow berserker, a few hours if memory serves me. I looked (and looked) for “Vosne spices” but I really didn’t find much outside of an NSG profile. More red trending towards blue fruit rather than black. Floral and sous bois complimented the fruit. Medium full on the palate. Really fanned out nicely, packed a nice full punch but was sufficiently svelte.

There were five of us around the table, half a dozen wines opened and we were all floored by the heights this wine touched.

I won’t argue for (or against) the wines of Jadot but I can say if you passed up this bottle you missed a great one.

I’ve got one bottle of this…what were your impressions of the wine at this early stage? Thanks!

Best cabernet I have had in a long time - 2002 Phillips Insignia!

Off the top of my head:

1982 Chateau La Lagune
2010 Huet Le Mont Sec
2009 Ceritas Porter Bass Chardonnay

Dry Red: (3 way tie)
2012 Robert Biali Rocky Ridge Zinfadel
2007 Littorai Savoy Pinot Noir
2006 Lynsolence Saint Emilion

Each of these gets the mention for completely changing my opinion of and mindset concerning Cali Zin, Cali Pinot Noir and French Bordeaux wines respectively. The Biali was utterly ethereal and delicate like a pinot noir. The Littoray was as delicate as Burgundy and nothing like the usual heavy cherry cola Cali style of PN. THe Lynsolence showed me that young Bordeaux that is well made drinks as easy as 20-30 year old Bordeaux.

Dry white:
Nicolas Joly 2005 and 2005 Coulée de Serrant

No question or tie on this one. An incredible biodynamic French Chenin Blanc based wine so unique it has its own appellation and deservedly so.

Sweet Red:
1980 Graham’s Vintage Porto

Sweet White:
Lornano 1999 Vin Santo del Chianti Classico

Most memorable impression - wish I had more than 2 bottles. It’s just so young, but rich and exotic. There’s a nut oil quality that I think with age will show very well, perhaps then taking on a mildly oxidized quality, which I tend to enjoy. So if I can (and I probably can’t keep my hands off that long) would like to open the second bottle post 2019.

from what i can recall:

89 haut brion
00 haut brion blanc
05 rayas
11 egon muller scharzhofberger kabinett

no burgs!

+1 [cheers.gif]

Setting may have been a factor, by my favorite wine of the year so far is a 2008 Phelps Backus.

2008 Black Cat for me

2008 Marcassin Marcassin chardonnay. An awesome wine for sure.

Rich Byrne sounds like a Marcassin tasting note. [cheers.gif]