Hail Damage again in Burgundy

Too many variables for one answer, Chris.
Less mouths to feed with healthy sap delivery in place= healthier survivors.
But if the vines ability to regulate sap has been damaged from busted branches and even trunk, then not as good for any survivors.
As the fruit is sooo very young, I don’t fear bruised fruit so much. A bit further down the road, yes, but they are such compact tiny beginnings of berries that it shouldn’t be an issue. Any partially damaged/split berries will die off immediately, and won’t be around come harvest.
As always, it comes back to the work ethic, know how, and diligence of individual growers to deal with the curveballs well, both in the vineyards, and eventually the sorting table. If no wacky curveballs exist to manage, everybody does well. But such smooth sailing is a rarity.
Know and trust your grower.

Some more input from growers:
Lamy : 30% losses in la Princee, 15% En Remilly et Murgers des Dents de Chien
Arnoux: 25% in Clos Vougeot and RSV, 10-15% sur Vosne. Not much at all in NSG (they have south side holdings) or Chambolle

With so much leaf loss and damaged canopy I don’t see much good coming out of this. Those damaged clusters could be a problem down the road too. God, we’re spoiled in California!

What Casey said. The canopies look trashed in almost any picture I’ve seen. And then so much damaged fruit. Imagine the smell as the season goes on. Not pretty.

According to Veronique Drouhin Clos des Mouches was 100% loss. A friend was at the winery for a tasting just after the storm. I hope this was hyperbole.

How soon before all of Burgundy’s GCs and PCs are covered by hail netting like this:

My guess is “next year”, for the CdB at least.

That’s a LOT of acreage to cover, but I do wonder if some kind of tarp concept could be employed that could be engaged quickly, with storm warnings. At least for the smaller GC vineyards.

Illegal in the region for some reason?

Crazy that the nets are illegal.

Hail netting, even if allowed under AOC rules, would be very difficult to implement in Burgundy where parcels can be as small as a couple of rows.