Grrrrr.....calling about the corkage policy only to be told.....

Bruce - was this in LA? If so, I’m maintaining the LA Corkage spreadsheet. Feel free to update the sheet or let me know what restaurant it was and I’ll update the sheet.

It’s a pretty small slice of the restaurant going public who take advantage of corkage. Defianately well represented here, though. champagne.gif

That is generally true, but in LA (and some other cities) the more openly corkage-friendly restaurants tend to have a greater percentage of BYOB clients.

For last night’s dinner, the birthday boy really wasn’t that interested in Champagne (he likes cocktails) so it was easy to leave the wine in the bag and forget BYOB last night. There were a host
of other issues with dinner, but I’m only mentioning the corkage kerfuffle because this isn’t the first time I’ve had to call a restaurant to find out corkage policy (since it’s not on the website) only
to get told something else when we get there.

Bruce

Evidently, some restaurants’ internal staff communication isn’t any better than their communication with customers.

I had a restaurant quote me $15 for corkage over the phone then charge me $10. So I guess the mistake can go both ways. I didn’t complain. Obviously the attitude is the real problem here. I really like it when restaurants post their corkage policy on their website. Even better if they post their wine list.

You added a few unnecessary letters in defiantly. [cheers.gif] [wink.gif] [berserker.gif]

This was basically the best thing I read all day.

Haven’t been to Centrolina. Hope the meal was excellent!

This silliness is why I prefer to eat at home. [cheers.gif]

Spago is now $50 for corkage per bottle. I drink iced tea there–if I have to go.

Anyone care to venture a guess as to the percentage of customers who actually care about corkage fees?

My guess is for the average restaurant, 5%. For certain wine oriented places I’m sure it gets higher.

You guys are acting like half the patrons of these places bring their bottles in. It’s not advertised because most customers don’t care since they’re not bringing bottles. At least that’s why I don’t put it on my menus :slight_smile:

Thank you.

FWIW I’d still query this - if the person charging $10 made a mistake, I don’t want to see them in trouble for it, and I would have turned up happy to pay the $15.

+1. Some places are just not good at informing their staff.

I’ve been told corkage was ok only to arrive and be told they don’t allow it.

I’ve been told the wine was fine but the bottle of Port was not ok because their wine license didn’t allow the customer to open and serve Port. That was an interesting discussion with the manager who I duly informed had no idea what he was talking about as Port is still classified as wine under a restaurants liquor license and is treated the same. He refused to back down and I now carry a copy of the states law regarding Port with me.

I’ve been told corkage was OK but no bottles on their list. Asked for list and they wouldn’t send it. Brought an old 20+ year wine because I know this place only had current vintages. Because they had a current vintage of a cheaper wine from the the same producer was told I couldn’t open it…bring me ice tea and watch as my food bill is cut in half if you want to play that B.S. game.

If only companies would communicate better, LOL!

In a similar dispute with a restaurant - not about corkage, but based on miscommunication - I counted it as poor service and thus reduced the tip. As it was in the UK I actually didn’t pay any tip at all, and finished up paying about the same amount as I would have anyway. And I didn’t return.

Are there certain items on any of your menus that are ordered by less than 5% of your customers?

It is such a simple sentence to add to the top or bottom of any published wine list:

Corkage is allowed and costs $xx per bottle, please accept our limit of X bottle/s for lunch/dinner. Thank you.

It’s all about communication.

I’m not sure what you’re reading in this thread that gives you the idea that anyone claims that 50% of restaurant customers BYOB.

Any restaurant can set whatever BYOB/corkage policy it wants, as long as it doesn’t violate any of the state/local liquor rules. My point is just that whatever policy you want to set,
make it clear. It really isn’t that difficult to have one line on the menu/wine list and on the website clearly stating what the corkage policy is.

By contrast, the restaurant that prompted this thread unnecessarily annoyed a dinner party over the miscommunication and how it was handled. There are so many restaurants in LA;
if you alienate your customer base over stupid stuff then there are plenty of other restaurants that are more than happy to welcome those diners…

Bruce

Too bad about Sfog. Food is good and not too expensive. Wine list is short, though. Thanks for the tip on Centrolina. Will check out.

I used to forage for mushrooms, and have brought them in (with prior agreement with the restaurant of course).

And there are a couple of restaurants with wonderful one lists, where I would have loved to have brought in my own food.

Sooner or later, every thread on corkage is going to get here. Shame on all of you who don’t get it yet. strawman