Good, cheap Pinot suggestions

Eveningland $19

Lots of great US options here, but if your friend wants to try France, K&L has Bichot Savigny-Les-Beaune for $20. I haven’t had this exact vintage but I’ve enjoyed other Bichots and this is a great price point.

For my non-WB friends one of the hardest hurdles to get over is ordering via the Internet. Seems like “walk into a wine store and see what they have” is the standard comfort zone. If you can get your friend over that he can take advantage of near-infinite diversity. Of course tax and shipping are real costs that have to be considered.

J. Christopher’s “JJ” is $18 around here and it’s a stellar pinot for the price.

Elk Cove “Serene” if it’s still available also is a nice bottle for around $18

I’m pretty sure Cameron’s WV is under $20 now too!

I’m a bit surprised that no one would suggest the most obvious (and well rated), and easy to find Pinot Noir that would fit his request:

MEIOMI
Pinot Noir Monterey-Sonoma-Santa Barbara Counties 2013
Score: 92
Release Price $22

With all due respect I would point out that many of the suggestions proffered are a bit esoteric, hard to find for the average supermarket wine buyer, and stylistically not likely to please a non sophisticated and/or beginning wine consumer.

I read a national poll/report recently that indicated the average American wine buyer wants slightly sweet inexpensive wine, and something like MEIOMI is sure designed to fit that bill.

See post #27. But I think the OP is looking for wine. And not some concocted fruit juice beverage.

Don’t forget Luli! Amazing value.

THIS! I can usually find it at Arrowine in Arlington for $19.99 or so.

And I’ll put in another vote for La Crema (i think the Monterey and Sonoma Coast are under $20)… super easy to find in the DC area (even at grocery stores… gasp!).

These were my two entry points into Pinot Noir long ago, and anytime I recommend it to folks just getting started, I’m given positive feedback.

I don’t have any but I heard this is really good. $19 or something like that.

If you want a great $30-$40, limited production Pinot Noir - ask the board for their best values under $20.00. Many will quote one time sale prices from 6 years ago, or a limited production Pinot being closed out at some grocery store three months ago for half price.

I would guess that at least 75% of the Pinots recommended on this thread are selling for at least 20%-30% higher than prices quoted (Cameron Pinot Noir available nationwide for $20? Really?) But it does make for fun reading.

In 1977 I purchased a '67 DRC Echezeaux for $20 - does that count?

Post #7, BD price is < $7 a bottle for Oregon PN that fits the OP requirements for price and flavor profile. Unfortunately he’ll have to pay 1/2 of what he expected. Or get twice as much wine for the same price. [berserker.gif]

Just had a 2014 Banshee from Sonoma County at Whole Foods. Very nice. $22.

You might want to tell your friend to bump up his pain threshold and grab a bunch from BerserkerDay. Among the likely offerings that might be of interest and are in his price ballpark:

Ladd Cellars
Vincent
Siduri
Sandler
Briceland
Zepaltas
Patricia Green
etc.

This Girardin was the first thing that popped in my mind also.

I have purchased some of the Meomi pinot for use with new wine drinkers and they usually like it. One of my beer drinking friends moved from Meomi to drinking Dehlinger so there is a place for this non typical pinot. However the new vintage(2014) is unidentifiable as pinot noir and should be avoided.

2014 Cameron WV Pinot Noir

From Vinopolis $18.00 (currently available)
Sec Wines $17.89 (currently available)

Both ship nation wide.

Researching board suggestions is quick, easy, and prevents foot in mouth disease.

Cardwell Cellars at Portland Costco for $16.99. Or see if Vinopolis will ship you the Patricia Green Dollar Bills when they get it each year.

Don’t know how widely available this stuff is in the US but i find always great value in German Pinots (Spatburgunder as they call it) from the Pfalz region. Good producers are amongst others Reichsrat von Buhl, Philip Kuhn and Knipser. Not so polished as Burgundy but often have a nice earthyness to it. Their entry level wines can be found around 13 - 15 Eur around here, so that must be around 20 us?

So, if someone wants one bottle on the East Coast to try, you are paying shipping costs of what, $15 a bottle? Nationwide distribution means that it is available in, oh, 25-30 states? Not two stores in Oregon that ship. This person is looking for cheap Pinot Noir he can walk into any wine store and purchase. At least THAT’S what a little research tells me.

The OP didn’t say “give me examples of some Pinot Safeway carries”.

Unless the OP gives us a list from the local bottle shops or something, people are going to suggest online retailers and I don’t see anything wrong with that. I know Vinopolis carried my listings at one point very recently for the price I mentioned. Maybe the guy can order a couple different pinots, throw in some other things he likes and get a case? Maybe he’ll pay $1-$2 on shipping per bottle.

We didn’t finish the bottle in the store and bought the rest home. HUGE difference, and for the better tonight. Nice cherry. Sonoma spice and funk tonight. Enjoying this wine with the game.