Golfing Scotland

I have played/failed miserably on the road hole twice. First time decided to play it safe off tee and hooked it way left. Took me 4 more shots to get to green. Lesson learned. Second time I had been planning the tee shot for a year! I announced this to my cohorts and caddie on the tee then hit my tee ball RIGHT of the hotel. The laughter was priceless in fact I think my caddie fell to the ground!
Triple bogey 7 both times. Last year I actually had a chance to score under 80 until that debacle.

Right of the hotel, eh?

And I thought I was bad when from the first tee, I almost went OB LEFT— yes, left. I could count the eyebrow hairs on the bystanders, I was so far left.

[rofl.gif]

Welllllllll

You might not be too thrilled with me, but, my trip to the UK was not originally about golf. It was about seeing Kate Bush perform opening night. The golf was simply added to it. I loved the concert so much I actually flew back to the UK a few days after I came home in an attempt to see it again (which I was able to). So, I apologize for the lack of a reply but I came home from the second trip and hit the road for work. I finally have a week to myself.

I played a few local courses as well as The Old Course, Carnoustie and Kingsbarn.

Old Course:

First off, 4 months ago they opened a new waiting house. I got there at 4am and was number 14. There were 20 open spots and rain all morning so I felt confident I was going to get out.

At 6am someone opens the waiting house. They call out each number and ask for your handicap card. They also ask if you are part of a group, etc. They are quite accommodating and nice. I noticed there was a break in the weather at 11am and asked if I could defer my name till 11am. I could. However. My hotel was not close and I cabbed it, so, I hung out in the waiting house. There are cozy sofas, hot food, tables, TVs and plenty of power outlets as well as USB ports. Its quite civilized. So, if you are debating the wait list in the future you now have a place to hang out.

A spot became open for me at 11:30. I went out with a husband and wife. Wife in new golf clothes, husband in jeans and both rented clubs. All of the caddies and the other player in the group strongly feel they forged their handicap cards. They really dragged us down. Their caddies got so frustrated they started helping us out as well which was great because one of them had been a caddie there all his life and had a pile of stories, tips and trick shots. It was so nice I could have played in shorts. The rain stopped at 11. There was no wind. In fact. I had great weather for every round of golf I played while there.

People told me the course would be a dog track and I would not like it. The course was in great shape and was a great play. I will probably never play it again unless I go again with someone who has not played it. Every golfer than can IMHO needs to go through lining up and playing The Old Course.

Why would I not play it again? Kingsbarn! Man, what a course. What an experience. People in Scotland are so nice, but, Kingsbarn was crazy nice. My booker there noticed where I was staying and noticed I pulled up in a cab. So, he paired me with a caddie that lived in the neighborhood I was staying and asked him to drop me off at my hotel after my round. Even funnier. I was in the car with two other caddies who had to let off steam. It was wonderfully hysterical.

I would head back and play Kingsbarn again and again before heading back to any course I have played already. I would try out some other courses at St Andrews, but, I would make sure I would play Kingsbarn multiple times. If you did not know your green fee allows you to play the entire week of your tee time. Each play is 50% off the regular fee.

Carnoustie was better than expected as well. I really enjoyed it as well. I was paired with two really great guys who just had a great outlook on the game. The three of us had a blast. I think I would head back to Carnoustie before The Old Course, but, I would probably head to new golf before returning there.

It really was a fantastic trip, er, trips. I still cannot believe I headed back to London, but, it turned out being one of the funnest spur of the moment things I have done.

Thank you so much everyone for your tips! If I could recommend anything it would be the Tourline Scotland app. It was great at listing train and bus schedule. I would HIGHLY recommend the app citymapper. It has only 8 cities in there, but, it is simply stellar and getting you where you need to be. Check it out on the web. You will be impressed.

Leslie

Oh. I also almost killed someone watching from the parking lot of the hotel on 17 at The Old Course. Caddie told me to cut the corner over the parking lot. I am asking about people in the parking lot and pointing at this guy wedged right at the corner of the parking lot watching us hit. He says screw them all they know to duck if they hear fore.

I almost took park lot guys head off. Thinned it right at him. Yelled fore at him then apologized as I walked by him. Caddie was right though! It landed in the fairway.

I hope you pared it then [cheers.gif]

I did but only because it is a 5 for the ladies even though I played from the yellows. I got 4 extra strokes on the old course. I think all of the courses I played I had 2 - 4 extra strokes per course.

That sounds terrific!! I’ve heard from a number of people that St Andrews is a must play at least once but not among the most fun or best courses out there - seems like your reaction was similar.

Always been a dream of mine to go play in Scotland with my father and son before my father gets too old. Any idea if the courses there will let a kid of 12 or 13 play (assuming the kid shoots in the mid to high 80s)?

Dan as long as he meets the hdcp requirement.

Thanks - what is it? Is the standard consistent across courses or different for each?

For the Old I believe its 24. The other SA course I played didn’t even ask for proof.

Leslie - glad you enjoyed your trip. I had a similar experience first time playing the Old Course - underwhelmed at best. Trust me the next time you play it you will fall hard for it. At least that was my experience and others with me. So unique - can’t wait to play it again and again. How often do you get to play on a track that hosts “The Open” every 5 years? Theres a reason they keep going back - classic track.

What did you end up paying to play standby like that? The 2 times I have played it has been included in the package but I have been quoted crazy high prices for advance tee times.

I agree on Kingsbarn. What a delightful place to play golf!

Carnoustie - what did you shoot? Sounds like you are a pretty good stick so interested to see how you fared. I have played it once and was about a 10 and was breezing along until I hit #14-18 and the wheels came completely off. Those finishing holes ate me alive - so much so not sure I want to return!

Headed back to the SW of Ireland next summer and am starting to chomp at the bit.