Germany 2015 really that great

Excluding Muller, the spread of pricing is tighter in white German wines than more or less any other area.

I’m not really financially incentivised to try cheaper producers.

Keller is not exactly cheap either.

Weil is getting up there as well.

It also seems to be common for GG bottlings from many producers to be $70 or $80 in the US, making them less price competitive with many Austrian Rieslings that can be found for $40-$60, and Trimbach CFE around $50-$60.

True. But like normal I wasn’t really thinking of the dry wines. :slight_smile:

When are these supposed to hit the shelves here?

The big London tasting is tomorrow. Sorry to miss it, though I’m not convinced one gets a great steer now, much better come late September.

Anyway my order is in. I tried to keep it small. Honest I tried.

What’s the debate? Traditionally they dosed with sulfur to halt the fermentation in sweet wines.

So I missed the Terry Theise tasting yesterday, as I am on a business trip. My wife went, and thought the wines were good, not great, and she is a very perceptive taster.

Certainly true last year when the lovely urine on slate combo in June had almost completely disappeared by September!

True every year. But tasting just bottled wines isn’t half as useful as knowing the producers wines across multiple vintages.

Doesn’t seem to be available in the US yet.

The top German dry wines are generally labelled Grosses Gewachs (basically the German version of Grand Cru “GG”).

Top German dry wines (outside of Keller G-Max which is in the multi hundreds) are mostly in the $70-$80 range through standard 3 tier distribution. You can get them in the $60s from retailers who buy gray market or in the high $40s from retailers who buy direct.

There are also some excellent GGs in the $50s through 3 tier ($35ish direct).

I’d agree with you that say Knoll Smaragd, for example, is an excellent value in the $40s.
Nikolaihof Steiner Hund is in the $65-$80 range, similar to top GGs. Justified imho, it’s very good

Prum makes excellent, ageworthy Mosel sweet wines and is generally considered to be one of the top 4-5 producers of sweet wines in the Mosel. They do not make dry wines (and only rarely make off dry wines).

The Nahe is another region quite famous for sweet wines (Donnhoff and others).

German wine consumption has shifted dramatically to dry wines in recent years. The Rheinhessen (Keller and others) is the most popular region but the Nahe and Pfalz are also very popular for dry wines.

It’s a very good vintage for sure. Once in a lifetime might be a bit much with lifespans where they are these days.

Honestly, unless you are looking for GG wines (which tend to be very expensive in the US), I don’t see that much difference in prices between most more famous German wine producers and less famous ones. Maybe Egon Mueller, Keller and one or two others. But generally superstar producers (at least to me) like Prum, von Schubert, Selbach, Zilliken and Rheinhold Haart are priced at a relatively small premium over other German wine producers. In most cases, unlike in the rest of the wine world, why not go for the big boys?

Fixed it.

Well played.

[dance-clap.gif]

The prices of the GGs do give me pause and have prevented a further exploration on my part beyond dipping the toes in. So just why are the prices so much higher than the residually-sweet wines? Is it yields? Production costs? Or just the fact that they can get it?

I’m drinking a JJP WS 01 GK on the 26th with my birthday lunch. I’ll say it’s always been in a great spot ever since I pulled the first cork…but I also have a '76 GK that’s still resting safely in the cellar. It all depends on what you want.

Honestly it’s the style that most of the German market consumes. So they can sell it all easily at home…that’s what’s driving the prices up in my thoughts. Plus, the world seems to finally see just how amazing they can be.