Funny Or Die "Blind Tasting"

I do not find it funny because I find that most of the people here and most of the people I drink with are not pretentious. If they were, do you think they would be involved in a group called “Wineberserkers?”

I’ve experienced tastings almost exactly like that, and many others that couldn’t be farther from that. What I’ve found is that people with a real passion and love for wine want to share in the joy and fun of a killer bottle of wine. If they’re blind tasting, it’s just to practice, learn some theory, or to get rid of biases so they can have a good honest time with some wines and learn along the way. There is no need for pretention as everyone at those tastings are peers in wine anyway, and we all know what each other’s things are and have all experienced the real humility of blind and double blind tasting.

But I’ve been in a bunch of tastings with folks around my age, call it late 20s through early 40s, that get a bit like that. It’s almost always the guy who is the wine afficionado of his friends…but the one whose 200 bottle vinotemp is loaded with Silver Oak, Caymus, and Kistler. And that’s it. The folks with “refined” taste who view wine as a means of superiority over their fellows, rather than as just a fun hobby involving consumables. I’ve been at tastings where people bragged about auction snags of off-vintage poor producer burgundy, simply because being at an auction made them sound like experts. Mispronouncing the vineyard and having no idea that they got jobbed at the auction would be unknowable to all but those who love wine like most of us do.

It’s that section of humanity, the graspers and show ponies, that this video accurately reflects.

In Barry’s defense, that’s about the correct ratio of live to dead in the spot haha

Couldn’t watch more than a minute or two. It is far too “staged” for me, very bad acting, like they were just reading the lines.

That could have been a scene out of “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia.” I found it funny, but the ending was a bit over-the-top. There are a lot of duds on FoD.

Lol. Thanks Peter. That’s exactly what I was really saying, if you read between the lines!!!

I swear.

:astonished:

Lol