Forget 2007 CdP; Bob P falls for 2009 Bordeaux

I am curious as to why you bought this wine if you don’t like Bordeaux? Curiosity, want to try, what? I have had the oppurtunity to buy 100 point wines from regions I don’t like in the past- even at great prices, and I pass them up. I didn’t used to when I first got into wine, and discovered quickly that 100 points of suck still sucks (for the record, I scored the 09 PC 97+ points, and I think it is a fabulous wine).

I’ve now tried a couple “100 point wines”, and I think it’s foolish/impossible to predict perfection at maturity based on how things taste now. As an example, the 09 Leoville Poyferre was one of my absolute favorites from the UGC tasting and I rated it very highly, and I wouldn’t be surprised if it approached perfection decades from now… but I wouldn’t rate it that way today.

By the way, I’ll confirm that the wines in the OP got 100 points. I think I actually counted 17, not 16, so its a touch more absurd even.

There is something called a “wise financial decisions.”

If you are saying he was buying to make a profit, I don’t know, but I would say that that is not wise at all- investing in wine is like anything else- a big crapshoot. As soon as you have the mentality that this is a bubble that will never burst- watch out. In addition, as a wine lover, I find buying for profit rather than buying to enjoy more than a little bizarre.
I can also say that I have a number of 100 point wines from regions all of the world that are very difficult to sell or trade, including some big names. Sure, Screagle ‘sells’ for $1200 a bottle or more, but you still have to find a buyer, not always easy at all.

I have to say, I sought some validation and direction from Parker’s scores for the last few years. Now that I largely do my own dilligence rather than outsourcing it, this is the first BDX report where I derive utility from him bashing the wines I like, increasing the likelihood that they don’t appreciate in value. RP100 means nothing to me, unless it makes a financial impact on my holdings.

Of course it is a crapshoot. But buying 2009 Pontent Canet is fairly low risk, since it isn’t particularly expensive relative to Scarecrow, Sloan, Latour, etc., and it was tossed a big barrell score. It’s also a great vintage, and its RP giving the rating. Try to move various Jay Miller 100 pointers, Suckling 100 pointers, etc. and you’ll run into issues making a profit. It also is varietal specific. From my observations, it is really hard to make a killing re-selling anything RP 100 for a profit from southern Rhone, non-cab cali wines, etc. But, in Bordeaux and in Napa Cabs, 100 points almost always means significant profit.

Also, as a big fan of breakfast, and more specifically orange juice and bacon, I find speculating on pork bellies and OJ futures rather than buying to enjoy more than a little bizarre.

wink

That is a pretty amazing list, and many of the entries speak volumes about the critera for “perfection” being employed currently.

I’ve never been one to engage in the WB vs. eBob forum sniping, but it’s pretty startling to read the thread on this over there. Everyone peppering the people who got the print copy for numerical Bordeaux ratings, and hooting and high fiving each other for high scores (mostly on things they bought already – not sure if they just are stoked over the validation of their purchase or if they are hoping to profit on flipping, but I think mostly the former).

I actually (harkening back to the Wine Geek Confessional thread) think that professional ratings and reviews can be helpful in finding wines to try in some circumstances, and I’ve never accused people of being “score whores” or any such thing, but if there were ever a case where that shoe fits, you’d find it in that thread.

I think your being a little harsh in your assessment. I did not take a large 2009 position, but if I did, I would be extremely happy to know that my decision to buy before the scores came out was a wise one (assuming that buying 2009 BDX at all is wise). I think there was a lot of doubt about whether the 2009 prices would hold up or whether they would immediately drop after the scores came out. If they go up, you just saved yourself a ton of money. If they were to go down, you just overpaid. I am sure there are a few pure point whores and flippers, but scores have an impact on those that are not also.

In what world could Fourtet and Smith ever produce a 100 point wine?

The same world that Carlisle’s Sonoma syrah gets a 97. :slight_smile:

(disclosure - I like Carlisle wines)

I will gladly trade my 09 Smith Haut Lafite and Clos Fourtet 100 point wines for any of your Latour, Margaux, Haut Brion in any vintage where those wines got only say a measly 95 points. Come on point whores! Bring it on!

bob, @FakeBobWood has some pretty toney followers…

Given what he/she is Tweeting I remain unamused no matter who is following.

If you bought a case of Pontet Canet last month for personal consumption (and not for flipping), what difference does it make to you that it got 100 points versus 97 points, or whether the price to buy it tomorrow is more, less or the same as what you paid?

You say “If they go up, you just saved yourself a ton of money. If they were to go down, you just overpaid.” Didn’t you pay the exact same amount for the exact same wine regardless of whether the price went up or down today? I don’t see how you’re any different off.

Now, I’m not that totally rational – I understand the sensation of patting one’s self on the back for having bought before the price went up or kicking one’s self for having bought before the price dropped, even if it doesn’t actually affect what you have or what you paid for it. Maybe that’s what all that celebration is about, and I guess I shouldn’t judge.

Well Chris, I guess you must have the bucks to go over to EP and taste all the wines before buying. The rest of us mortals don’t. So yeah, I’m happy that my purchases tasted great out of the bottle per Parker.

Maybe when I have the bucks you do. I can hang on your level.

Jeff

They probably are now!!

The seventeenth 100 pointer is Ducru Beaucaillou I think.

Jeff, my comment was about people who already bought wines before the bottle scores came yet appear extremely concerned about what the scores came out as today, which I found strange. I wasn’t denigrating, or even commenting on, people using critical scores to assist in their decision to buy wines, or buying without the ability to go to Bordeaux and taste the wines beforehand (which I certainly do not have).

I apologize if I was unclear, and I didn’t mean to insult you.