Flannery Beef

They have done the custom aging for a while. 60 day KC strips are where its at!! Buy the whole strip and have them cut it thick.

Just ordered some of the rib cap medallions. Anyone try these ??

Jay,
Grilled 5 of the 10 oz. versions on Saturday night.
Killer, melt in your mouth goodness.
My wife preferred these to the the Cal. rib eyes but I’m not sure.
Maybe some more research is required. [cheers.gif]

I’m going to cook a couple of the rib cap medallions tonight. There’s snow everywhere, turning to rain, and I only have a charcoal grill, so I’m not likely to grill (lazy, I know). What would you all think about putting it in the oven at a low temperature to melt some of that amazing fat, pulling it, and searing last? Am I over-thinking it? Should I just pan sear and throw it into the oven? Or, should I quite whining and fire up the grill?

What’s the best prep for the Rib Cap Medallions? They ok on the stovetop, or better grilled? Last time I made one on the grill it seemed to take far too long

Salt and pepper, toss on the grill, flip, flip, flip till medium. Slice into bite sized chunks and use as appetizers. Serve with toothpicks.

go to Costco and experiment with their rib cap medallions before trying Bryans at $18.99 a pound.
taste them side by side too once you have the method down.

I buy the costco ones often. Makes no sense for them to roll and tie without having removed the silver skin.

Gentlemen: If you check Bryan’s website you will find that he offers cooking tips for many different methods on most cuts. I find his advice to be quite informed and accurate.

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]

but not those, Marshall, as he doesn’t offer them currently.

However…I pan-seared them on all sides, finished in the oven at 350 and they were INCREDIBLE

I recently tried the 60 day dry aged New Yorks and the Ribeye ( 1 of each) - have to say I am not a fan. I love funk in my wine but apparently I don’t care for it in meat. I absolutely love Brians other steaks but these had a foul taste. I know others have raved, anybody else tried these?

I just tried my first 60-day ribeye, and it was one of the best steaks that I’ve ever had. My wife liked it, but not nearly as much as I did.

We got our BD order fast. I got 30 and 60 day NY and Ribeye. I went smaller as we don’t eat huge amounts of meat in one sitting. We did a 60 day rib eye and a 30 day NY a week ago or so, absolutely amazing steaks. We ate half of each and used the other half a coulee days later. Wife grew up with her dad raising cattle and still said it was the best she has ever had. It was raining so we cast iron on stove with grape-seed oil (high smoke point 475*). Cooked rare and almost did not need a knife to cut it, center was barely warm (I let them come up to temp on counter for a few hours) and very red, oh so tender and yummy.

The 60 day definitely had a little funk to it but we like that. The grass feed beef we get from a farm in the county has a little more of a gamey flavor some don’t like it if there use to grocery store stuff. We passed on a couple of our own last year and may take the plunge and raise one this year. The flattery grape radio podcast had a lot of good info in their thought and process.

I had the 60 days twice… 2016 Berserker Day and then again summer 2016… I liked the first set but found the second set too funky for me. This years BD I bought 30s…

Pulled a Flannery 14 day aged Hanger steak from the freezer last weekend. Grilled for about 10 minutes on high heat. The gradations in thickness meant there was a doneness for everyone. Absolutely wonderful.

I was ordering from Bryan a few years ago, and ended up getting 2 shipments with a bit more age than I preferred. I didn’t know I didn’t like the extended age/gaminess/funk until I experienced it. I tried to get through it, but now even the slightest smell, or taste of that funk ruins it for me.

As we really enjoy steaks at many restaurants, and at home, I can only assume there is a limit to how much aging I can take? My wife notices the difference, and while she doesn’t love it, she isn’t terribly offput by it like I am.

Bryan’s meats are a bit too expensive for me to experiment with…any idea how many days before the gamy funk sets in? I’m assuming we should look for 21-30 days at the most? Grass fed/grain fed likely also makes a difference?

Great topic, and one I’ve been trying to figure out.

Also-I know this issue is particular to me as I know many who love the aged flavor. Bryan’s meats are of the highest quality. We loved the rib caps, etc…nothing against Flannery at all. I really want to order from him again, I have too much good red wine :slight_smile:.

Not quite on topic, but in regards to the musings about age: 45 days is great - tender but not funky. 100 days in, it starts smelling like salumi to me. At 165 days, all I can taste is blue cheese. 300 days was good, but I was too drunk to recall specifics. Will revisit 300 days in April.

In my experience it’s over 30 before any noticeable funkiness (at least for my palate). Typically closer to 45, which seems to be my sweet spot - the right amount of funk for me. It’s funky but not predominantly so. I’ve had 60 a couple times and that extra two weeks seems to be the tipping point - 60 has been at the upper bounds of the amount of funk enjoy, as funk begins to be a more dominant flavor profile.

Agreed. By about 45 days you’ll get some funkiness / nutty flavors. I like it but if you don’t then stick to his regular 30 day stuff.

Thanks, I’ll give a couple 30 day cuts a shot.

“nutty”…I wish it were “nutty”…LOL