Finally A New Book About Barolo And Barbaresco

I hear you , James! I’ve been getting into Ian D’Agata’s book on Native Italian Grapes for about 6 months now, and it has definitely caused me to purchase some wines that I wouldn’t have considered prior to reading about the grapes.

Heading over there again in 6 weeks, so it sounds like I need to get my hands on a copy ASAP.

I appreciate the various perspective expressed by everyone herein – the context is very useful…

I loved her Brunello book, and I like the Barolo/Barbaresco book at least as much. She isn’t a fan of very modernist wines in either book, but I’m not either, so I think that’s fine.

Fine with me, too, Oliver, as I am in the traditional camp in both the Piemonte and Toscana as well. However, as a gesture of respect to you, I did read the Brunello book, and I have to say, while I think that she researches and writes well, her strong opinions are not nearly well enough informed by experience, and she is given to the beginning writer’s vices of overwriting, hyperbole and repetition without purpose. Judicious editing by a subject-matter expert would have helped a lot. Her love of Brunello is strong, but in pimping the zone, she has written many things about Brunello vis a vis other wines that, in my view, simply are not supported by reality…if you have ever had a fully mature, great-vintage Barolo! The photos and the maps are dreadful as well, but I suspect that should be laid upon the publisher’s doorstep, not hers.

I look forward to seeing if her writing and analysis have grown in the Barolo/Barbaresco book. Neither book is ideal for beginners, I suspect, in that she elected not to cover the waterfront both times out, which is certainly her prerogative. At least if she chooses not to tell the whole story, she does a service by trying to tell the traditionalist story as well as she can, and to that end, I would not advise the beginner to avoid her books, either. In addition, she was writing into an informational near-void both times, so I cannot help but think that she is helping move the stone up the montana. (Not surprisingly, I am not overly enthusiastic at the prospect of a Galloni book, as he is not a strong writer and has been spread too thin for too long to write a comprehensive book on Italian wine, but I always stand ready to be pleasantly surprised.) For my part, I am busy lining up a publisher for Bill Boykin’s forthcoming book, which, at least in galley proofs, can comment intelligently on the wnes of Roberto Voerzio without a single mention of Coca-Cola! :slight_smile:

Based on Bill’s commentary and…her stated bias, as described by Keith, this book is now a clear “no thanks” for me.

I don’t mind bias; we all have them. But, I’m not interested in a treatise on a wine region that is limited by that bias, especially by someone who I , otherwise, know nothing about. To me, after visiting the region and tasting the wines for 30 + years now…the line between “international” and “traditional” style is a lot more blurred-- and in the middle-- than I had initially assumed. To not read/buy a book by someone at the extreme of “traditional” and is making pronouncements for “historical reasons” is …well…of no value to me, at least as a purported treatise on this great region and its wines.

Thanks for the savings.

Coming soon to a Trattoria near you… [cheers.gif]

I’m in. Bought the book. Next vacation or long flight reading. Thanks

I found the discussion here interesting and will keep it in mind as I read the book which I just ordered.

In for a copy as well. The bias suits me just fine. Have a point of view!

Funny, but I think you are making your decision based on a less than full understanding. She includes Sandrone, Altare, Scavino, and many other “modernist” producers. Most importantly, she gives Gaja his full due. There’s nothing about her biases that stops her from giving a full history and background. If you like authentic Barolo, there is little reason to discuss Voerzio or La Spinetta in a book that makes no claim to cover every producer.

I guess I am looking for a book that discusses/describes the waterfront there…not necessarily every producer…But, if Voerzio (and others I have no idea of unless I buy it) are left out due to “bias” rather than lack of resources/pages…I don’t want to sift through a book to find out who’s left out.

The statement that there’s “little reason” to discuss Voerzio…in a book that covers “authentic Barolo”…if that’s what you’re saying…suggests just the kind of bias I’d don’t want to buy. Who else is left out that I might be interested in…because they aren’t “authentic”?

Maybe I am misunderstanding how her bias effects the producers she discusses…but…

Bias is a loaded and inflammatory word - not appropriate here at all - as though the word to describe someone who refuses to state his position on the authenticity of Voerzio and the like were “unbiased.” I wouldn’t call that person unbiased. I would call him indiscriminate, maybe, and spineless for sure.

Stuart it seems you set up impossible standards and then reject the work when it fails to satisfy them. Does Morris or Coates cover EVERY burgundy producer ? Does Tanzer review them ? Of course not. Practical limits should be set.

Not sure that “spineless” is any less inflammatory a descriptive than “biased”?

I ordered the book, but I do understand Stuart’s point. I drink a lot of Italian wine, and based upon multiple observations, happen to be fairly opinionated when it comes to Piemonte or Tuscany. That’s why a book like Ian D’Agata’s recent tome suits my purposes fine - it really just serves to convey a lot of information in a fairly academic style. Some may find that boring because Ian doesn’t get down & dirty. But to be honest, given the fact that I’ve been drinking Barolo and Barbaresco for a much longer time period than Kerin, I don’t think I need any help from her in forming and/or revising any opinions I might have about the wines/producers.

Perhaps a Christmas stocking stuffer for me.

Every author/book’s resources are finite, ie, limited. I understand that .

When the coverage is limited because of bias, though…rather than resources, number of pages…and is, therefore, stilted…it’s not what I look for in a wine book. I want something that gives me insights into a wine region and its producers…not tries to convince me that the biases of the author are “right”…unless the coverage is otherwise unaffected.

I don’t say it’s a terrible book…or a waste to read. For my purposes…it doesn’t interest me, though.

Maybe it’s not the case…but…I’m not that interested in finding out given what I’ve read on this thread. Listening to people’s biases is one thing; paying for them…is entirely another matter. You can call it “impossible standards” (though I don’t know what you’re talking about)…I think they’re just selective. Lots of wine books haven’t interested me over the years for one reason or another.

I have no expectations of a 100% coverage book, and especially not an unbiased one. There never has been one for any wine region, so why should Barolo be different.

Yet still I buy wine books - why?

I do like suggestions of interesting people and wineries, to know who the establishment are, and who are the ‘enfant terribles’ shaking up that establishment. I like to know about the landscape, a little history, and a flavour of vintage differences. If written in an engaging style, I 'll happily take a little attitude or bias, especially when clearly signposted e.g. “This may not be a common view, but…”.

I’ve tasted enough excellent wines that never get on any critics lists, to ever worry about the exclusion of a big name.

I meant to mention that she likes Sottimano quite a bit.

doesn’t matter, stuart still won’t read it because La Spinetta and Voerzio weren’t included [snort.gif]

It sounds like Stuart only reads wine books that are intended to be the definitive encyclopedia of some category of wine. That’s cool. Too each his own. If I read definitive encyclopedias, I guess I would pass on this book too.

I think it’s safe to say that most people don’t just read encyclopedias though. There are lots of great genres of writing out there, of which “exhaustive encyclopedia” is just one. It sounds like the author of this book was aiming for something that reflects a point of view. I think points of view are interesting, when well informed, even when I don’t agree with them. While generally in the “traditionalist” camp (although I’m getting tired of the constant dividing of the world of wine into trad and modern), I think I’d even be interested in reading a well-researched book that was solely about the modernist movement of winemaking in Barolo and Barbaresco and omitted mention of lots of my favorite producers. I bet I’d learn a lot.

In sum, I don’t really care that much about genre. I just like reading books about something interesting that might teach me something new. Not sure yet if this book falls into that category or not, but I’m going to check it out.