Favorite wineries in your local state??

Another thumbs up for Westport Rivers. I prefer their blanc de blancs sparkler.

+1 Gruet has been making some decent sparklers for many years now and at a good QPR- a bit of a drive from Maryland.

Just thought of another one, L. Mawby, a fine sparkling wine producer in Michigan. Hope you`re in to sparkling wines Ally.

The sparklers at Dr. Konstantin Frank in NY are pretty good.

My favorite NY producers include:

FL:

Weimer
Ravines
Frank
Anthony Road
Red Newt
(numerous others)

LI:

Paumanok
Palmer
Lieb
Waterscrest
Croteaux

Yes, I very much second this. I joined their wine club and get 3 shipments a year. We are big fans of their sparklers.

+1

Re favorite wineries in my state:
Au Bon Climat
Williams Selyem [new and old]
Palmina
Foxen
Jaffurs

If you want to make a trip down to VA, Barboursville near Charlottesville is quite nice. Their Octagon is particularly good.

Florida ; Close your eyes , What do you see ?

Plastic surgery and old women in golf carts.

My current state is Missouri. I don’t have any favorite wineries from here. Of the people making oak flavored grape juice, I guess I mind Stone Hill Winery the least.

Updated to also include:
Hourglass
Longoria
Ojai Valley Vineyards
Brogan Cellars
Morning Dew Ranch Vineyards

Maine - Bartlett Estate WInery - Gouldsborough, ME

If there is one winery that I love knowing about that almost NO ONE in the greater wine-loving community knows or gets exposure to it is this winery. They do ONLY FRUIT WINES. They are famous for their Blueberry wines. They make a reserve pear and a reserve blueberry that are ONLY available at the winery. It is a wine that I’ve loved to share with fellow wine-geeks and as much as I love it…I’m kind of glad that it’s “under the radar” so that the prices are still affordable.

Kirk,

Does anyone make dry cider in Maine out of blueberries like people do out of apples and pears? Or would that just be really weird?

Illinois - nada

I’ve never heard of it…but it doesn’t mean it’s not happening. There’s a decent amount of mead producers popping up…but I haven’t heard of what you’re talking about.

Silver hair and liver spots [smileyvault-ban.gif]

Hi, guys. I’ve been drinking wine for several years now but new to the forum. I used to live in Virginia and definitely would second the Barboursville recommendation, but would say the Octagon has become way overpriced recently (I was there in February and I think it was $50 a bottle and the pour I had wasn’t exciting at all). Their reserve reds are much better tasting and run in the $25-40 range.

Another Virginia winery to check out is Potomac Vineyards - about 1.5 hours south of DC and definitely worth the trip. They have a beautiful Italian villa-style setup with a cafe with good lunches. The wines are on par with Barboursville and generally cheaper.

I moved to Atlanta three years ago and Yonah Mountain Vineyards is probably the best option in the region (Sautee-Nacoochee). They do mostly straight varietal release, plus their Genesis (which I would say is comparable to the Barboursville Octagon but slightly better priced at $30-40). Their sister vineyard Serenity Cellars just opened their own tasting room a few miles from Yonah, with a lot of good blends.

Next year I’ll be moving to San Francisco, so I’m looking forward to learning about all the great vineyards out there soon!

Haven’t been to any vineyards in a few years but there are some interesting whites made in Connecticut. Gouvea Vineyards makes a rich seyval blanc and Sharpe Hill produces some nice whites.

I live in Atl. and have 6-7 wineries within 45 minutes of me. My favorites are Frogtown, Wolf Mtn. and Montaluce. Five years ago they all tasted like stem juice, now they’re drinkable. In five more years I’m hoping they get to the point I’d be proud to serve them to dinner guests. In any event, I will continue to support them, because it’s not just about the wine but what they’re doing to north Georgia… transformation!

Well, here in Nebraska there are a few wanna-be wineries, but by far our best is the ethanol you put in your car.