FAVORITE Châteauneuf-du-Pape ... Poll !!!

Just to be clear about what I was saying, I stopped buying Beaucastel after 2001 because it took me that long to realize the wines had changed for me. I don’t believe in drinking them until they are 9-10 so I thought early reports of the change were from people who were just drinking them too young. When I started opening them, I noticed a cleaner, less interesting style. I still think the 98 and 99 bear some comparison to Beaucastels of yore, but the last Beau that I thought was old school was the 97 and the last great old school Beau was for me the 94 (I find the 95 to be one of those 95s that just never came around). Of course, others will disagree.

I have had great Hommages from 90 and 94 thanks to friends. The 90, which I had this past spring, was still shockingly young. I can’t imagine any from 98 on being even close to ready, but since I haven’t tasted them, I really can’t say.

Writing in Mont Redon

OK, I had a hard time with only 20 options possible … [scratch.gif]

Charvin and Ferrand by volume and preference. Rayas and Pignan by preference. Honorable mentions Vieux Donjon and Charbonniere.

1 Like

I have a very soft spot for Mont Redon, as it is probably one of the few surviving old fashioned Chateauneufs and available at a decent price.

Fascinating poll. This one I love. So interesting. Thanks Gerhard.

Charvin
Pegau
Beaucastel

Rayas is above my ceiling these days. I used to enjoy Clos des Papes, Janasse and Barroche but we’ve grown apart.

This mimics my experience perfectly. I bought some thru 2006/2007, and it was my largest holding of CdP. About 5 years ago, we did IIRC 28 vintages of Beaucastel, most from my cellar, at a tasting. I kept the few '89 and '90 I had, as well as 1995 and 2005, and sold every other bottle I had.

Welllllll, never been a fan of Pegau, never had a Rayas or a Bonneau; did have Pignan though. So for me, Beaucastel, Clos des Papes and Telegraph, but Charvin is right there. But my best buy is Mordoree Lirac Reine cuvee; year in, year out it out-performs its price imo.

What concerns you now about Barroche? just curious

Beaucastel (bonus points for the VV Roussanne, never had Homage) and La Nerthe. My hit rate on La Nerthe 80s & 90s bottlings is incredible. And the Clos de Beauvenir white is great as well.

I’ve had good and bad Boursan Felix, and also like Clos des Papes but to date I’ve purchased more of that at the cellar door than home in the States.

Boislauzon
Beaucastel (on the strength of their whites)
Clos des Papes

The last few have been a bit too ripe for me.

Has to be Bonneau, Pégaü and Rayas.

Pre-1994 or so both Beaucastel and Clos des Papes would have been contenders. And, pre-2009, so would have been Clos du Mont Olivet.

Argh. Knew I’d forget someone. Tintot Mourvedre from barrel rivaled Rayas Grenache from barrel for most exquisite sample when I was in CdP a few years ago.

Three favorites? Picked Pegau but if three it would be Pegau then Donjon pre 05 and Charbonierre.

For white the Beaucastel both bottlings and Raymond Usseglio.

Ditto for me.

Pegau
Mont Olivet
Vieille Julienne

Pegau the clear winner.
After that I’m sort of spitballing. I like a lot of most of them: Bioslauzon, La Nethe, Bois du Boursan, Clos des Papes, Donjon, Charvin, etc., etc… I am not a fan Beaucastel (never rung my chimes,) Janasse (cloyingly sweet) or Clos St. Jean (also cloying) and a few others. I wish I could try Bonneau and Rayas someday.

Daniel,
whenever you are in Graz/Austria (with or without cello) I´m happy to taste them together with you … [cheers.gif]

I’d love it! Thanks for the offer. Make some music, drink some wine. Life at it’s finest!