Evangelho - An under-appreciated California Grand Cru for my Euro-palate

I love the wines I have tried from this vineyard, and I certainly agree that the 12 is in a wonderful place. The 13 requires a lot more coaxing at the moment, but the raw material is there for sure.

Crushed one last night with a dry aged strip. Excellent.

Bought a bottle of Bedrock Evangelho and Precedent Evangelho as well after reading this thread. Will report back, when I finally pop them…

I tasted this with Hardy out of barrel as well and declared immediately that this is the best wine he has made to date.

Same here when drinking Zin, hence the quotes.

Speaking of tasty, the 2013 Bedrock Grenache has become quite a bit more friendly.

The non-Euro palate might wish to check out the new release of T-Vine’s 2013 Evangelho Vineyard Mataro* (small production, ~$35/btl).

My experience with this label is the 2011 “Hallowed Ground” Napa Valley Red Blend. Definitely a hedonistic, smokey, dark, fruit coulis, richly-textured experience.

http://www.tvinewinery.com/product/2013-Contra-Costa-County-Mataro?pageID=65408E41-CCDE-FE75-6F24-AA207FD1102E&sortBy=DisplayOrder&maxRows=100&

• Peter Kleben, Rich “Hot” Brown, Peter Peterson, etc…

I have a single bottle. Open now or will further patience be rewarded?

Thanks, Drew! Know anything about this wine or winery?

Thanks Brady, I’m a huge fan of this unique 19th century gem!

Bingo. That wine is epic. I love the D&R wines, but the 2014 Evangelho took it to an entirely new level. The texture of the wine was something I had not experienced from California Mourvèdre.

T-Vine making wine from head pruned vines?

Ha! Thanks Drew, I wasn’t aware they made a Mataro, as I’ve only had their PS and a few zins (all pretty decent, especially the PS). I’ll definitely keep a look out for the Mataro.

Thanks again!

Loved the older T-Vine wines under Greg Brown. Was sad to hear of his passing. Not sure if my palate changed, or the wines changed, but haven’t really enjoyed the more recent offerings.

I had the Neyers Evangelho bottlings of Mourvedre and Carignan at their pickup a week ago. Both were quite good. Bruce also makes a very interesting blend containing those two he calls Sage Canyon Red: 45% Carignan, 25% Grenache, 15% Mourvèdre, 15% Syrah. It was a no brainer at $25/bottle. The Syrah is from Garys’.

I couldn’t agree with you more. From a year ago with Hardy:

"2014 Dirty & Rowdy Evangelho Mourvedre from neutral barrel

In Contra Costa county, these are 125 year old vines in sandy soil. He feels this is one of the two best sites and this early sample is hard to argue against. Focused red fruit aromatics, red pepper and nutmeg for sure. And FOCUS is the name of the game on the tongue, driving, with acidity and aromatic replays. It has the most interest and I keep tasting to keep up the conversation. If this plays out into the bottle, the other Mourvedre guys–even the guy I’m visiting next and that fine Larry fellow down in SB, had better watch their tailfeathers if this shows up in a competition."

Maluhia,

Mike

Mike, your original “Mike on the Road” notes on the D&R Evangelho, along with my prior love for the wines from Oakley/Antioch, set me on fire for the Dirty & Rowdy CoCo Mourvedre!

I secured one bottle from the Winery release, as well as one from CC. The bottle I tasted rocked my world!