European Cheese

That’s true of the French ones, but I am pretty sure that many, if not most, Swiss VMdOs are made with thermalized milk even for sale in Europe. When I was in Switzerland a few years ago, we visited two producers and discussed it at some length. I can’t speak for every single cheese maker, but what they told me is that it is standard and generally preferred in their community.

As shown here… La Ferme Saint-Aubin, at 76, rue Saint- Louis-en-l’Ile.

Will have to check it out. Trying recs above :smiley:

Very much enjoyed the Brie, both on its own and with some bread. The LaRoux Soumaintrain was a bit much; just not a fan of the smell, although it is wonderful with bread. I’m going to have to leave the windows open in the room for a couple of hours. The Mimolette was delicious, as always.
WP_20161013_16_35_48_Rich.jpg
WP_20161013_16_13_30_Rich.jpg
WP_20161013_16_13_22_Rich.jpg

Epoisses is similar. Harbison is a little less stinky at a similar ripeness level, but they’re both really flavorful apart from sheer stink.

Stay away from Epoisses then, Andrew…you’ll need days.

It will send the cockroaches running, for sure. If it’s properly ripened, that is.

Apparently we must have different views of “Properly Ripened” Epoisses. :slight_smile: When it gets that ripe, I’d call it over-ripe as there is just too much ammonia and metallic taste to it.

Pont L’eveque is in a similar category, though in general i prefer Epoisses.

Ammonia comes from being wrapped too tightly when it’s ripening. It’s a storage and packaging issue, not a fault in the cheese. It’s an issue with all washed-rind cheeses. You can get it in the blandest Brie, too.

Have been remiss in updating this thread. Most of my cheese lately has been picked up at the Bastille Farmer’s Market and I’ve generally been pointing and massacring the French language, so I have no idea what I’ve purchased. Will update soon, but know my sweet spot continues to be Roquefort and aged Comte, while experimenting triple creams :smiley:

We had what I was told was a german cheese this past week but I can’t seem to find the name. It tasted like a blend of comte, swiss, and gruyere. It did have a small number of holes in it.

Anyway, being a comte lover, I thought it was outstanding. Maybe somebody is familiar?

My wife thanks you for the Swiss Vacherin Mont d’Or; it is her new favorite cheese. While I do enjoy brie, this was exponentially better. Androuet for the win, again.
WP_20161112_11_33_30_Pro.jpg

If you’d like to get overly gluttonous you can always warm the Mont d’or into a fondue…

Just had this. It was delicious. It had a texture that was similar to some of the cowgirl cheeses - a little pasty rather than uber creamy.

Is that just a factor of aging? If I throw it in the fridge to age will it get runnier?

Thanks

I’m taking this thread to Milk Pail tomorrow and going to town :slight_smile:

Scott

I gotta say that to me, there is nothing better than Epoisses in France. I know it’s stinky, but man is it good!

Three to try:
soft & spicy: Chaumes
hard & salty: Old Amsterdam
Unimaginably sweet: Stilton with great Port

The best German hard cheese I’ve had is an Alpine one from near Lake Constance. It’s called Chiantini because they soak it in red Italian wine. It’s a terrific cheese, but I haven’t seen it in NYC in years. I thought it was a shame the couldn’t brand it with a German name.

Have really been enjoying Reblochon (French Alps) lately, as well. Very similar to Mont d’Or. Still getting used to the idea that I can use these to cook as well; seems like a travesty :slight_smile:

Have had a couple of goat cheeses, but the only memorable one so far is was a crotttin de Chavignol.

Reblochon is used in tartiflette.
Here is a great recipe for tartiflette. Lucy's Kitchen Notebook: Sunday's Tartiflette

On deck tonight, Ecir de l’Aubrac, Pont l’Eveque, Selles sur Cher…fromages.com did a 20% off sale last week.
IMG_1559.JPG

Andrew, let me guess. That is the Androuet fromagerie in Neuilly-sur-Seine???