Epiphany @ Chablis November 1st

LOL. I was (half) kidding. I’d be more than happy to bring my better half.

Ha you better be “half” kidding because she gets half your wine collection :wink:

Indeed she does [truce.gif]

I can’t imagine many people have a $750 Epiphany wine. That kind of addiction has to start somewhere much cheaper I imagine.

i was thinking burgundy epiphany, when i was a born again wine drinker [snort.gif]

Dominique and I are in, so that’s a WITH +1 vote for me

Nov 1 would be better than Nov 8 for us, we are pouring at the Garagiste thing in Paso on Nov 8.

Everyone else okay with the first

No, only the 1st works for me. And, I did not see others really voting my my vote was for with +1’s as I’m not really interested without spouses.

Sorry I meant the first

We are in for the 1st and I will vote to bring the ladies…just because they are better pileon

Nov. 1st works for us and +1 works for me.

Updated 1st it is and Wifes/Husabnds/SO’s are in.

I think Nov 1 works for us…and bonus that is the night the clocks change back!

Lisa and I are tentative .

Should know in about a week.

Bump

Well timed bump Arnold. Last night, I had dinner with a group of friends, including Marc and Dominique Simon. We talked about our Epiphany wines. I’m not sure how this will work if the current version of what we viewed as as our turning point - our WOW wine - is no where as good as its’ example. Case in point, the wine I was thinking was the “ONE” was a '96 wine that the later versions never came close to matching. Now, I happen to have a four or five year vertical (2001-2005) of the wine but stopped when they just didn’t seem worth buying. So, what do I bring? The oldest? The one that may have the highest CT or Parker scores?

I’m sure we can all tell a nice story about our Epiphany wine. But, do we want to do it over wine that is not the same in quality than what we’re talking about?

[soap.gif]

Also, something Bruce and I were talking about the other night, and something I mentioned to someone else… For Dominique and I, we went through several “Epiphany” points in our wine experience… We actually haven’t been into wine as long as everyone else, even though we now are very into it and own a winery… But it was only just about 10-11 years ago that we started getting into wine. It started by going up the coast, stopping by Summerland Winery and to Kenneth Volk and we loved the Pinots they were making, so that’s the moment we got into wine, however, not only do we not have any of those particular wines, they aren’t “popular” with most people we know and they are not high end wines, so we would feel weird bringing a wine at that price point when other people will be bringing much higher end wines…

We then started liking some other Paso wines, but similar story, they weren’t more than $40-50… Then once we started drinking the better Paso wines (Saxum etc…), some Napa/Sonoma wines and of course some better French and Italian wines, we had more “Epiphany moments”

Maybe we should start a list of what wines everyone is bringing, then, although whatever we bring may not be our “exact” Epiphany wine, but it will be something in the same price range and quality as some of the other wines…

My experience at these types of tastings is not to get hung up on the exact year, but bringing the wine that made a difference to you and talking about why is the real fun. Wines that you liked at a point in time, but no longer like are fine. Let everyone know what they meant at the time. It’s a journey, not a destination…we all got on the slippery slope for a reason, let’s share it.

That is great, but, some people may be bringing $100, $200, $500 bottles if that’s what their Epiphany was, I will not feel comfortable bringing a $50 +/- bottle when other people may bring super expensive wines… How do we deal with that?

Honestly I’ve never had a problem with bottle cost. But it’s a great question to ask the attendees.
Ladies and gentlemen, thoughts?