Earthquake Aftermath - What Help Do You Need?

Wow, that’s the most complete list I’ve seen.

Thank you, Anne! This is very comprehensive, and sad to see. I hope representatives from each winery can come here to state what they might need, so we might help

The Domaine Wine Storage space is fine. If anyone needs some temporary storage, packing boxes, etc, we can help. Not looking to get paid here, just offer what we can.

Thanks,
Marc

Email update from Campesino:

Many thanks to all that reached out to us after the Napa quake shook our world yesterday morning.
While we did lose some close personal possessions our family is fine. As for our wines, we received notification that our case goods suffered only minor losses and that all was well at the winery. While we did lose some library wines and current release wines we know that they are minor compared to the damage the quake did to others.

The Andaz and the Westin are very new and the Marriott isn t that old.

That seems odd.

I wonder about all those wineries on 8th street east in sonoma…

The Buena Vista Historic Cellars survived with some minor damage, though we lost a lot of bottled wine and other damage to lighting fixtures, mirrors, etc…I am very thankful that we retrofit the Champagne Cellars in 2012 or we would have been faced with a pile of rubble yesterday. My thanks to our Architects, Structural Engineers, Contractor and the Boisset Family for saving a piece of California Wine History. While our Raymond Winery suffered minor losses in the Tasting Room the De Loach Winery had no losses.

I am a born and raised San Franciscan now living in West Napa and that was the most violent earthquake of my life…and I was on the Bay Bridge in 1989! I am so grateful that my family is safe and my home has no structural issues. My thoughts are with those who suffered and lost so much yesterday.

I work at one of those wineries. We got pretty lucky, no barrels hit the floor but most stacks are leaning and it isn’t safe at all to be in the cellars. We saw some of the “disaster recovery” trucks driving through our parking lots though, reports are that a lot of the places on 8th E are in bad shape. Hearing stories of a specific storage facility (seriously just can’t remember the name) not allowing any of their clients in to see the damage. Heard a bad report about Enkidu who is across the street.

A coworker’s girlfriend works at Sebastiani and some of the pics and videos she was sending over were absolutely unreal.

All the barrels, including mine, in the Enkidu space were unaffected. Some case goods got damaged but this was mainly for pouring at events and was not esp extensive.

I heard a report of someone else in the complex that lost some barrels…but didn’t hear who it is (or have it confirmed as more than a concern/rumor).

My overall impression: while there was some damage, 8th st east was relatively unaffected compared to other areas. If you look at the shake map of this event that’s been posted various places, the 8th st east buildings are in the ‘serious shake’ area…but are on the edge of it.

Btw, if you felt the earthquake…no matter how far away or close you were…it’s important/helpful for you to enter in your experience in the ‘did you feel it’ on the USGS page…the link is http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/dyfi/ . This info is used to make the shake maps more accurate. The shake maps are a complex problem…and the more data points/experiences they get for each event the better and more accurate the shake maps become. The shake maps are a valuable/important planning tool for all of us that live here…and for the various local/regional/etc organizations that provide emergency support for us.

Strong aftershock this am? Hope all is well…

image.jpg

Since the epicenter was more toward Carneros, I’m surprised to see there wasn’t much damage in that direction, only some minor structural damage at Domaine Carneros. Towards Yountville, Elyse reports only a few cases lost. Sequoia Grove reports almost no damage as I just heard from Terri Trujillo.

Thanks for the link Eric. I went and filled out my experience on the shake map. I have not been feeling the aftershocks but was surprised to see that all my shaking in the main quake was considered weak. It was strong in my mind. Yikes. That puts it in a bit of perspective.

Some further info…

First, a public service announcement–the Napa Food Bank is very low on food. They are happy to take donations of non-perishable foods as well as cash. When the power went out, many lost food that was in their fridge, it’s the end of the month and lower income people will really struggle for the next 4-7 days. If you’d like to make a donation, http://www.canv.org/donate.html

Most importantly, the 13 year old child who had been critically injured and airlifted to UC David underwent 10 hours of surgery to repair damage to the pelvic area. He has been upgraded to fair, and while he has a long road ahead, doctors feel he will make a full recovery.

Good news, in recent weeks many vintner’s had bottled, palletized, and shrinkwrapped their 2011/12/13 wines (obviously depending on the varietal and how long they keep them in tanks/barrels prior to bottling)–much of it had been transported to the warehouses and fulfillment centers in South Napa and American Canyon. There are absolutely no reports of any damage to any palletized wines in these facilities.

More good news… Trefethen reports that most of their wine which were in the tasting room building had been bottled, palletized and moved to an offsite warehouse over the past few weeks, so wine loss is minimal.

Mixed reports on Buoncristiani. Matt reports no loss of wine, Jay reports losses–although it’s possible he was talking about the wine he makes for Krupp.

The entire barrel room “collapsed” at Trinitas Cellars. I saw some photos early today and it sucked the breath out of me.

Opus One “suffered very minimal damage.”

Bouchaine lost an undetermined amount of wine, it doesn’t sound traumatic.

Cameron Hughes lost some wine, it sounds like a few barrels.

I’ve also seen further photos of Napa Barrel Center, and it’s gut wrenching. The report of 1000 barrels lost looks like it’s going to be accurate.

Three other things to note…

I have not posted anything on any wineries who reported no damage or just minor stuff-broken stemware, a few bottles here and there, which seems to be 99% of those in Yountville and north as well as most of Sonoma.

I have tried to post only factual info which I have gathered from official news reports or Social Media of the winemakers/winery owners/etc. I have done my best to filter out info which could be incorrect, but I’m not perfect.

Last, there are two bits of info which could help affected wineries.

1. Roaming Gnome is offering 250 and 330 gallon totes at no charge to Napa wineries. James Bateman Cell: 707-200-7838
  2. Tonnellerie Saint Martin has about 20 stock barrels if anyone needs them for crush. Contact is Laura Nelson.

I’ll post more updates as I get them.

I saw photos of the damage at the Andaz (the report didn’t say where it was, but it sure looked like the Andaz to me) and some of the balconies looked to be cracking off the building.

Anne,

Thanks so much for the thorough updates and the link to the Food Pantry - http://www.canv.org/donate.html - which seems like a great way to help the folks least able to weather such an event.

Anne, thank you!!!

I am in Germany on vacation. Based on all I have read and communication with lots of friends it seems like the Matthiasson’s were hit the hardest. Anyone know if there has been something set up like a GoFundMe, to help them? I know they are getting lots of help in Napa but it would be nice for others outside of Napa to be able to help and I for one would love to contribute.

I’m not sure if this will prove to be true. Remember that many vintners had their entire inventory in various barrel storage warehouses, several of which are reporting massive damage. Some wineries may have lost everything.

I’m certainly not trying to downplay the deep losses that the Mattiasson’s have certainly encountered, but rather that there are quite possibly others in even worse shape.

I stumbled across a GoFundMe page for a small vintner earlier today that someone had put together for them–they had wine in barrels that were cracked and needed new barrels to put the wine in. I directed them towards the Roaming Gnome offer as an immediate stop gap.

I suspect that first and foremost will be damage control–salvaging wine in barrels that can be salved into any sort of appropriate container that can be found–neutral barrels, kegs, tanks, etc., and then trying to resume the aging process in a more calculated manner.

This is a good way to make immediate cash contributions and I encourage you all go there if you want to help. You can choose a specific category to earmark a contribution to. I selected Housing and Shelter. From what I read, there is an abundance of volunteers on the ground already and in some cases they just stand around, waiting for assignments which will likely lessen as the immediate mop up winds down. The major winery recovery work is potentially dangerous and the folks who work in these facilities know best what they need. My advice? Buy some Napa wine (direct if possible) and donate to the community at large, then come and spend money.

Anne - I live in NYC and lived through Sandy and I recall many GoFundMe type pages were set up immediately to help restaurants and other small businesses. It literally saved many restaurants. The reason I mentioned the Matthiasson’s specifically is based on what I have heard and read they had major damage to their home as well as their wine. I think the entire wine community would like to help, especially the small wineries.