Drinking Windows, are they a Crock?

Fair enough, Clint. That’s sorta what I expected you meant. Under the reductive conditions of a closed btl, I don’t think a wine can
turn to vinegar (AceticAcid/EthylAcetate) unless it went into the btl in that state.
I actually like the aroma/taste of a good vinegar quite a lot. But just not when I sit down to have a glass of wine.
Tom

I have to go with you on this one. I have had some very old Bordeaux wines that were way tired nothing but some tannins and ash tray with no discernible fruit or aromas. They may not be vinegar, and yes, I know how to make vinegar as I have a vinegar crock for wines that aren’t salvageable, but these wines are not pleasant to drink and isn’t that the whole point? It isn’t a contest to see how long you can hold something unless it is very old Madeira. Good for someone who finds a very old bottle that is still good. My experience has been less than sanguine on this issue. I have been given bottles from friends who know nothing about wine and kept it over their fridge for 10 years. Not much there.

As someone who includes drinking windows in my tasting notes, I agree they are approximations and I think for the most part anyone who writes one should fail on the conservative side. Seldom will I extrapolate a window more than 10 years (2015 - 2025) just for that reason. I am happy to be proved wrong. Last year I tasted the vertical of Dyer Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon from Diamond Mountain and realized the original windows for the earliest vintages needed to be thrown out and re-evaluated based on the evolution that had transpired over time. They had another 8 - 10 years, easy.

The wine will always have the last word.

Leaky corks (and corks are highly variable as far as the seal and temperature changes exacerbate the problem) can let the wine make a little vinegar which then is metabolized to ethyl acetate with more oxygen. The latter is very volatile and aromatic, so it doesn’t take much to affect the nose.

-Al

From Tom…Hmmmmmm…over the last yr, I’ve drunk dozens & dozens of old btls. Many of them have been pretty dead & gone.
Bitter/astringent/dryed-out tannins. No fruit. Sometimes a bit aldehydic. Some not much pleasure.
But I don’t recall a one of them being vinegar.
Tom[/quote]
Are most of your dead bottles American or French. White or red? I’ve had the best luck and surprises with red european wines.

They pretty much cover the whole gamut, Andrew. Mostly reds, but a lotta whites. European & Calif. Been working on a case
of '88 JJPrums that have, across the board, been magnificant. I’ll hit an old RedRhone, a Calif Syrah every so often
that are terrific. And a lot (red) that are pretty tired & don’t offer much pleasure.
Tom

Some science and a lot of art. Really impossible to know unless you have followed the wine from birth to your glass. I have wines that should be dead turn out impossibly young. And wines that are falling apart at age four. And everything in between. You never really know what is under the cork.

I trust my own drinking windows which I post in CT. I do tend to like my wines older than many people and all of the wine I own was bought on release and stored in ideal conditions. If I posted an TN a few years ago and said drink “2014-2020”, I will taste another bottle soon and perhaps adjust my drinking window. Not surprisingly, for my own tastes, I think I do a great job!