Do you use CT (or anything like it) for your beers

If you can dig through all the BS, it’s OK. People on Beer Advocate and Rate Beer take things a lot more seriously. You don’t see people downgrading a beer because their girlfriend dumped him while he was drinking it.

Vast majority of the check ins have no notes just stars. Even if they have words they are barely notes or anything more than a superficial line or two.

Totally agree. I like to use to spy on friends to see what they are sharing without me and occasionally see what is being offered up locally. That being said I find it an easy way to keep track of my own consumption.

It took me a little while to figure it out, but this is pretty much the same conclusion I came to.

Holy crap!! I just saw this thread and realized CT does beer tracking? MIND BLOWN!!! Looks like I got some work to do this weekend…

It can really track anything, most of the time you need to input your own data

Yes and no. We do have a lot of beers (and other things) and I am glad to help add them. Attempting a label capture is the best way to proceed and then using the report/can’t find match if it fails. I usually get those entered in <24 hrs. You can also email to newwine@cellartracker.com . I kind of prefer you take these options as it avoids the issue below.

What we don’t really do is spend as much effort as wines to ensure that items are only listed in one form and are as accurate as possible. So if you enter a beer with just a proprietary name (CoolMildlyOffensiveBeer Name) and someone else enters it as proprietary name + type (CoolMildlyOffensiveBeerName Oatmeal Stout), we probably aren’t going to find this and consolidate them. In other word, tracking for inventory will be fine whereas shared tasting notes are not always going to be there.

We won’t even touch issues like where beers like Brew Dog’s or Mikkeller’s should be placed in geography. I am not spending time tracking those down. Or what the variety of some beers really should be. There are limitations to torquing the CellarTracker structure to handle non-wines. All of the above applies to spirits as well.

Makes sense Andrew but still cool for tracking inventory and your own notes on a beer or spirit so you can track it over time just like wine. Inventoried my beer and was surprised how much I had!!

+1. Didn’t realize it has a beer glass logo for beers . . .

(I now expect a debate to rage as to whether there should be different beer glass icons depending on the ‘appropriate’ glass - stein, Kolsch, Pilsner, chalice, etc.)

Yeah, we created a beer glass icon specifically in the new desktop site – and a type of Beer.

same. inspired me to sell a bunch. Ha.

I wish CT were more widely used for beer. I also find untappd useless. The other two are somewhat less useless, if only because I can more quickly find a decent note for most beers. Overall the fact that there are three competitors and no real consistency in model of use makes the whole endeavor relatively unreliable.