December 5 in San Francisco

Must have been my son reminding me every five minutes how I needed to stop being so shy.

PS - the wines were superb. Excluding the wines we brought (to avoid personal bias), the Taittinger, the Lopez and the Phelps were my favorites. I may have had a 26 year old bubbly before, but I do not recall one.

The 1990 Comtes was OUTSTANDING. No negative components of age with plenty of positive components of age. It had a breadth of flavor in the mouth without the sharp edges you sometimes get in a young Comtes. Although “only” a Brut and thus in theory a bit more RS, it was not sweet but the tiny bit of sugar was enough to create a really good balance. There was a tiny bit of aged chardonnay nuttiness with a citrus component - I thought it was almost pineapple - and a peach or apricot component.

A note on the “Y,” which I bought at an Acker auction about 6 years ago. I was nervous that it was over the hill, but I was wrong (that would make my son happy). It was truly beautiful. The nose was fantastic and IMNSHO, the palate was not very far behind. By far the oldest dry white Bordeaux I have had and it was just a cascade of flavors. I agree with Ashish’s description of the flavors. There is a definite Yquem flavor to it. I do not know if it is the Botrytis, the terroir, the winemaking or who knows what (probably all of the above), but it is strongly reminiscent of a dry Yquem.

?
3point8shrap.jpg

Since he bleeds Jet green, was thinking more like this…

Super fun, great restaurant too, and the wines were fantastic. A lot of things I hadn’t had in a while. Thank you all and it was nice to meet you and your family, Jay.

My WOTN was the 2002 Rousseau Clos de Beze, spectacular wine… :slight_smile:

Weightless, ethereal.