de Buyer Mineral Pan - set deal

What I have done with success:

1. Scrub the new pan with an SOS Pad and very hot water. I just do the inside and not the outside of the pan. This will get the bees wax protective layer off.
  2. Dry the entire pan thoroughly with paper towels.
  3. Place pan on the lowest setting on your burner for a few minutes to make sure it is completely dry.
  4. Put a couple of TBS of coconut oil in the pan and allow to melt. Keep adding oil until the bottom is completely covered by 1/8 inch. Use a silicone brush to paint the sides of the pan well with the melted oil.
  5. Crank up the heat until the oil just starts to smoke.
  6. Remove from heat and pour out as much oil as possible.
  7. Using several paper towels, wipe the pan dry.
  8. Return to the burner and turn to high until smoke starts again.
  9. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
  10. Repeat steps 3 through 9 three or four times.
  11. If you did this right, the pan should not be tacky or oily at all. It should feel just like a Teflon pan.
  12. After each use, I wash with a nylon brush and water…no soap at all. After that, I hit the pan with just a quick wipe of grapeseed oil on a paper towel, heat the pan up until smoking and remove to cool.

Thx tex!

The pre seasoning kinda sucks on the lodge. Def not non stick. Had to get rid of it completely and reapply coat

Thanks, Tex! I bought a de Buyer Country Pan and went through the whole Cook’s Illustrated flaxseed oil method with 6 coats but was not happy with it at all. I put the pan through the self-clean oven mode and now need to start over. I’ll try your method.

I have one (12 inch) and quite like it. If I did not grab for my Le Creuset(s) fry pan every time I needed it, I would make it my number 1 pan.

This is not to say Tex’s method doesn’t work, but my debuyer pan is plenty non-stick for me just with use and an occasional wipe-down using a thin layer of canola oil.

What am I missing? The sale seems to be the 8, 10 and 12 together for $149.95.

Your cuz already turned in his man card after that make-up debacle. Now, it’s your turn.

If you had just waited til today, the sale is over and you maybe could save face.

You missed the sale. The deal is no longer there.

OK, I see, sale over.

Thanks for the heads up. That was a great price.

[thankyou.gif]

Question: Can use reuse the coconut oil between coats, or is it best to start with new?

EDIT: Used new oil for each seasoning on the smallest pan last night. Worked beautifully.

Mine arrived today, thanks for the tip!

pans have arrived. excited!

Any reason you did not follow the first few potato steps provided with the pan for protective coating removal before moving onto your own seasoning regiment?

Voodoo magic.

I’m a little confused here. I saw them in a cookware store in Maine last year…and had no idea what they were.

So…let me ask my questions this way: are there things that you can use other pans for that you can’t use these for? e.g., sauced things, etc.? I sense that they have the same uses as cast iron pans do, and that there is no clear difference. (I read some reviews and watched a Youtube video). But, other than the lower weight and, maybe, better handles, are they more versatile on the range than cast iron?

I’d love to find a new, more versatile pan…than my all clad stainless (with core), copper or cast iron, ie, one that be good at almost everything. But, I don’t really understand where these fit into the versatility continuum.

Not looking for “magic”…just some improvement in what I have.

Do NOT use them for long-simmered acidic sauces.

I sense that they have the same uses as cast iron pans do, and that there is no clear difference. (I read some reviews and watched a Youtube video). But, other than the lower weight and, maybe, better handles, are they more versatile on the range than cast iron?

I think they are less prone to hot spots than cast iron (ie, they are more conductive). Also, they are more nonstick once seasoned. I’ve seen several reports of seasoning issues, but never had any issues myself, and I own 8 of the pans.

Also, manufacturing quality is higher than any reasonably priced modern cast iron.

I’d love to find a new, more versatile pan…than my all clad stainless (with core), copper or cast iron, ie, one that be good at almost everything. But, I don’t really understand where these fit into the versatility continuum.

Not looking for “magic”…just some improvement in what I have.

I’m a big fan. I own a couple of fantastic Demeyere pans – and find that the only time that I reach for them is when I am making an acidic sauce. Other than that one restriction, I think the carbon pans are very versatile.

Demeyre? Carbon?

So…other than for slow, acidic sauces, people think they are good for everything on the rangetop? Including sauteeing and quick, reduction butter/wine/vinegar sauces, etc.?

Brand name, Belgian made: http://www.demeyere.be/default.asp?SLID=1

Carbon steel: Carbon steel - Wikipedia