Credit Cards and Currency for Travellers

Only if you intend to withdraw cash on the card which is typically treated as a cash advance and has fees.

Take your ATM card and a regular credit and you’re golden.

Don’t just bring one credit card. Even when I’ve notified the bank, I’ve gotten declination due to suspected fraud

I will share some of our experiences including one in May. Card: Chase Sapphire Preferred - notified with list of countries we would be visiting (on a cruise). Tried to pay for a shore excursion from my laptop onboard the ship. Got the Visa verification popup requiring that I call a toll free number in the U.S. to confirm the transaction. I was in the middle of the Red Sea. What’s up with that? U.S. issued credit cards are not traveler friendly. It would be relatively simple to institute a second verification like a PIN number but call a phone in the U.S. and remain on hold forever? It doesn’t work.

I do have a USAA true Chip and PIN card to help me through those Chip and PIN required situations. I also get Euros and a few other foreign currencies from my local Wells Fargo international teller. They have two locations in the city where I live. Fast, easy. Call first to make sure they have them. They almost always have Euros.

In 2015, we were in Argentina right after the election of a new president. We could not change USD for Pesos at a bank unless we had an account with them. We could not find an ATM that would accept either of our cards. We wound up getting our pesos by buying a dollar or two worth of merchandise from a major grocery store. They accepted USD and returned Pesos. The exchange rate was posted and always fair. We did the same thing at several restaurants so we survived for three weeks without being able to access an ATM or change money at a bank. Going back next February. We will be smarter.