Couple has a hissy fit, gives a bad review and restaurant responds beautifully.

No, they have been to New York, which is just as bad. And don’t forget, he is a lawyer!

I think it’s pretty clear why Sonal has only one friend on Yelp.

This thread reminded me of a little wood-fired pizza place in the Sierras known affectionately by the locals as “the Pizza Nazi.” He doesn’t allow carryout, nor are you allowed to take your leftovers home. And he’ll choose which wine pairs best with the pizza you ordered. Solid Yelp gold.

It is people like this that cause me to use Yelp less and less. Thank goodness for sites like this which have knowledgeable reviewers who don’t have axes to grind at every little inconvenience.

Haha! At least he’s honest.

People complaining about yelp. You know you can skip over crappy reviews right? :wink:

Which is all of them, isn’t it? neener

The problem is the damage that whack jobs can do to a well meaning business.

I had a similar problem. A customer had an issue with her credit card bill that I tried to explain. Problem was she wouldn’t listen and went on yelp and stated I said things that quite frankly was false. Now I could go on line and get into an argument with her but really does that ever end well ? It’s a no win situation.

I can see the damage from the restaurant owner’s side. I was responding from a purely user pov.

Can’t owners respond to reviews? I’ve seen it. If something was blatantly false I’d leave a note with details. I know I read those responses.

Yelp reviews have no credibility with me. I do trust them on addresses, though

I don’t really have a problem with the restaurant. They had a written policy. Their house-their rules. I don’t trust Yelp reviews, either.

JD

how can you guys so categorically say “i don’t trust yelp reviews”. A bunch of people on this board post yelp reviews. Yet you say you can trust opinions of the people on the board but not of yelp?

Like all things in life, it’s about filtering content. There is a ton of valuable info on yelp. Should you trust every review? of course not. There are plenty of stupid

“I gave this place 5 stars! My hubby and I had our first date here, I don’t even remember what we ate. LOVE YOU BABE”.

But there are plenty of informative posts.

I use Yelp reviews to get a snapshot of the place, but I find the star rating FAR LESS helpful than Cellartracker. The typical Yelp restaurant in Chicago is 4 stars – seems unlikely that everything is above average – average should be right around 3 stars. And of course, there’s been stories of businesses paying for negative reviews to be removed/buried + a high likelihood of shills.

YMMV.

PS

This was linked to on some story about the Yelp review…looks like she and her husband are both attorneys.

http://kclaborlaw.com/Keenan_Our_Team.html

that is some funny sh*t right there [cheers.gif]

Too much chaff - not enough wheat

Well I don’t really trust reviews here either. In that just because someone here says a wine is great that I will like it also. In fact there are many here where I know we have different palates. But their is a higher likelihood I can sync someone else’s taste here to mine and know if I will find it relevant.

This was going to be my response as well. I do look at Yelp occasionally and it isn’t completely worthless. But I take everything with a grain of salt.

I occasionally wonder how many Yelp posts are performance art.