Could you differentiate Scarecrow, Colgin, Kayli Morgan,

Neither Spottswoode, nor Insignia are cult wines.

Exactly. They’re highly traded “blue chip” wines that have been around for a relatively long time. I’m interested in qualitative differences between these wines (which are also quite expensive, but fairly easy to obtain without a profound markup) and lower production “cult” wines that largely took off in the 90’s.

Qualitative? There really isnt any. At that level its strictly a matter.of preference and variety being the spice of life.

Sorry for the late reply. I stopped following the thread for a minute.

Crane always has this power and grace thing going on. Super dark core of fruit, but skates on the good side of not being overblown and sweet. Super pure and always fun to drink.

Bumping this thread, as it was mentioned in a recent, ongoing thread about the rising prices of Napa Cabs and the softness of the secondary market.

What do we think in 2023 about the homogeneity, quality and uniqueness of High End Napa Cabs whose prices are now stratospheric?

I’ll note that I buy fewer and fewer Napa and basically only backfill from 70’s-mid-90’s before the Parkerization of Napa led to higher alcohol, wood, extraction and jamminess. Only a few wines do I still buy, mostly DiCostanzo…

1 Like

I totally agree with the 1994 Harlan. Completely unique singular wine. Not sure I have ever had a Cali Cab as good. Near perfection