Corked Bottles: Post Yours Here For An Online Study

Yeah…I asked Toodles to sticky it for six weeks just for a small sample.

Can we add for any who report a corked bottle to give (at least a good estimate) of how many wine encounters they had in that time period?

A.

I can’t see that this can go anywhere as to much data is missing. I’d be more interested to know what % of wines are corked overall and given peoples amazingly different thresholds for TCA detection it would be impossible to get any conclusive data. Based on my experience I’d guess 2-4%

If you are going to collect data I’d look at price point as well.

'07 Rivers-Marie Sonoma Coast Chardonnay 750, cork

Again, I concur that it would be better to have all the wines opened for a partiuclar bottle to see what the corkage rate is. Believe me, I get where folks are coming from. If you don’t want to add a data point…then don’t.

At the end of this I want to be able to say that of 100 bottles that were reported to be corked, 25% were Italian, 75% were red and all had a cork closure, etc. Nothing scientfic, just curiosity.

2004 Château d’Aiguilhe Querre in 750 about 2 weeks ago. 6th bottle out of a case and first one that was corked. We actually still sipped on it for about a week as it wasn’t totally wiped out, although there is still about 1/3 of the bottle on counter.
I would say we get corkers about 1 out of hundred which is about 3+ a year spread evenly between white and red.

• 2002 Gunderloch Nackenheim Rothenberg Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Rheinhessen (2/26/2011)
    Damnation! NR (flawed) about $30
  • 2006 Les Crêtes Torrette Vigne Les Toules - Italy, Valle d’Aosta, Torrette (2/4/2011)
    Corked, again! Dammit. NR (flawed) - about $18. The variety is Petit Rouge
  • 2006 Les Crêtes Torrette Vigne Les Toules - Italy, Valle d’Aosta, Torrette (12/16/2010)
    @!##@@!@%%^^!!! Corked. Dammit. Seemed beautiful. Hope the drain liked it. NR (flawed)

Most recent corked wine was 2/19:

Jasmin
Cote Rotie
Corked…

(Jasmin seems to be a common offender. So many corked bottles over the years. Out of spite we opened a bottle of 98 Jasmin the following night…gorgeous! Cranberry meets grilled meat, olive, iron…elegant, balanced and rich without being full bodied…yum.)

Just last night

August West
Pinot Noir
Graham Family
California
Russian River Valley
Cork

Two tough ones tonight - 1998 Anne Gros Richebourg and 1998 Anne Gros Clos Vougeot…in fact there was a third but I am blanking on what it was…

Ouch.

And to everyone, thanks for the responses so far.

2001 Dominus

There’s an easy way to do this for those who have Cellar Tracker accounts. Just go to ‘advanced’ search, enter ‘corked’ (assuming you entered the word ‘corked’ in your note, that is) for ‘Tasting Notes’, showing yours only, then click the wine, and you can copy/paste the varietal, appellation, sub, etc from there

+1: two weeks ago, 750mL bottle

please don’t say that, I was planning on opening one this weekend [cry.gif]

Sunday a Portuguese Louriero 2010.

Today one Tempranillo from Spain, 2008 vintage.

In both cases, they were only “mildly” corked but unmistakable nonetheless. Neither is imported so it doesn’t do much good to list the producer. In both cases I talked to the producers too and they assured me that they had taken all kinds of precautions. What was ironic to me was that those two countries are the world’s cork producers and they were supposed to have “solved” the problem according to the cork industry.

Not.

The proportion really was pretty good tho - these were only 2 out of something like over 150 wines on those 2 days.

Interesting. An article here: Practical Winery Library | Search the archives of Practical Winery & Vineyard

Claims 1-2 % depending on what threshold is used for TCA.

Sounds about right.

Sadly yes, John. This wasn’t from my cellar although I do have some. My friend who brought this opened the 6-pack that night. I only have a couple bottles of the '01 and was really looking forward to trying it. Please post a TN on your experience with the wine - sending some good cork karma your way!

In the last couple weeks I have had the following wines corked:
Ridge Pagani Ranch Zinfandel, .750L, 2007 Vintage x 2
Vueve Clicquot “Yellow Label”, .750L, NV (WTF ever they tanker trucked it in from) x 1
Bergstrom “Cumberland Reserve”, .750L, 2006 Vintage (Willamette Valley, OR) x 1
Vina Alicia “Morena”, .750L, 2003 Vintage (Mendoza, AR) x 1
Foxen Pinot Noir, .750L, 2009 Vintage (Santa Maria Valley) x 1

This is all for now. Hope this helps, cheers.

2000 Le Moulin - Pomerol - Bordeaux

Also had a bad run of oxodized Arums de Lagrange - St. Julien - Bordeaux (white wine) from the '04 and '05 vintages. At least two bottles each of those.