Copain Releases--2015

Halcon as its the last year…

Merrill, I find this to be the case with almost all white wines. I start them on the cool side, but expect them to open and improve as they approach cool room temp. In the summer that’s harder to maintain, so I always have a glass of ice cubes, just drop one in every so often neener

I opened a 12 Laureles last night, along with an 09 Tree. Putting the white alongside a 90 and 76 Riesling, and the Tree was alongside an 89 Haut Brion and an 88 Vieux Telegraph, well, that was a little disarming with flavor contrast, for sure. As soon as I can find my way to the gym and press through that, I’ll put up a separate TN for the wines. Really nice wines the 2 Copains but it’s hard to settle up things when they’re going alongside 30 year old old world wines.

DAmn, FMIII drinking big! That 89 Haut Brion is amazing, a legend.

Nah, just use one of those baseball sized ice molds to make a nice big “cube.” Then pour your wine over that and head for the porch [wow.gif] .

Seriously, that wine calmed down at close to room temperature. And as you know, this is not new news. But when you get that mouthful of cold acid, with the memory of the previous evening’s gorgeous experience, it can be somewhat of a shock. But I am certain that putting it in the fridge overnight is the best thing to do…just have to remember to take it out in time to maximize the enjoyment.

I don’t want to name drop and all that stuff, Alf. I simply put that here to show how in certain conditions that CA wines can really stand out, for reasons of both pro and con. I think there was also an 02 Vougeraie Charm and 76 Lopez Heredia. I mean it was like CA against the old world last night, and funny, as both Copains I had wrapped them blind as when Todd Frenchie-poo arrived, he had his bottles wrapped up so I went along for the blind ride. But the smart palates around the table, they could pick out the distinction quite quickly. When I saw the bottles that showed up, I thought damn, I’m the sore thumb tonight. [help.gif]

Conclusively demonstrating ageability is really the next frontier for California Pinot and Syrah (California Cabs have passed this test).

That’s too bad but I don’t blame Paul for holding back the fruit. I like what he is doing with his wines and his prices are much more attractive.