Consolidated 2014 Beaujolais TNs

2014 Chateau Thivin Cote de Brouilly: Leads with a cool, hugely stony nose, like someone pulverized granite in the glass. More crushed granite on the palate, with the tactile minerality and zippy acids buffered perfectly by juicy berry fruits. Finishes with a lip-smacking, minerally tingle. A wonderful return to form for one of my favorite Cru Beaujolais, and easily my favorite Thivin CdB since the monumental 2009.

I got a bottle at Vif in Seattle. Doubt they ship, but at least some made it this way.

Michael

The '14 Vissoux Fleurie Poncie is showing a fair bit of grapey baby fat on the entry, but the finish is long, persistent, and minerally. I expect this to be fantastic in another 6 months or so.

at long last, was able to try the Thevenet 2014. a couple of the people I tried it with (all of us are novices) were confused at first, they thought it was Pinot, it had a somewhat floral quality to the fruit bouquet. Very pleasant but I thought it was slightly muted, I popped and poured however, perhaps it would have benefited from decanting some. Have another bottle which I’ll give some more time aerating to see how it compares.

Also have the Chanrion and Lapierre to try, as well. Thanks so much Martin for this thread, it’s been a treat to read up on this vintage and search it out, much easier to find and afford than Burgundy :slight_smile:, and very enjoyable to drink.

Hello, Fred. Welcome to the board, and thank you for your take on the Thevenet. I will look forward to your notes on the Chanrion and Lapierre when you get to them.

I typically find Guy Breton’s Regnie to be just a step behind his Morgon, but the 2014 is its equal. It is not as stony, but the really old vines (some 100 years-old) give it a sappy intensity and lovely texture. Maybe not as fine and chiseled as the Morgon, but more perfumed and pretty. As I was drinking it, I got to thinking about how the 2014 Beaujolais remind me of 2010 Burgundy.

Lapierre Cuvee MMXIV - This one confused me at first because it didn’t have that “special cuvee” profile at all. It was both lighter weight and lighter in tone (all the way on the red-fruit side of the spectrum) than the standard Lapierre Morgon. That’s a big contrast from the 2009 edition, which was so rich and over-the-top that it struck a few of us (me included) as a Sonoma pinot lookalike. Fortunately that’s not the case here, yet I was still a bit taken aback not to find that old-vine richness and seve - I even figured I’d be more likely to restock the basic cuvee than more of this. But more time in the glass gives me a much better handle on what makes this special-cuvee material. At least this vintage, it is not about weight or density. I still have the impression that it is lighter in weight than the regular Morgon, but what you get here instead is more layers that unravel and change over time, gaining more clarity until the last drop. Once it gets in its zone the fruit is gentle, pure, and rosy-floral, with a strong rocky character crushed into so fine a grain it gives the wine a classy texture.

That sounds really good, Keith. Thank you for the detailed note. Given the other wines I have tasted from the vintage, your note is much like what I would expect from this wine, although maybe not as “latent” as what you describe. It sounds like a good candidate for long evolution in the cellar.

Maybe we will get lucky and some retailer will put together a mixed case of these wines so we can purchase them on Berserker Day.

This is a killer Cuvee Tardive, but still exceedingly bright and tight. Much more shear than 2009 and 2010, if anything, closer to 2011 and its minerality, at least from my perspective. High acid, citrus tartness, small red berries, followed by a stony river bed feel to it. Really pretty, perfumed nose.

Is that a nudge, Monte?

tried the Chanrion. dark fruits on the nose, on the palate an initially earthy, almost vegetal quality, and then strong hints of flinty minerality and silky fruits, similar to the Thevenet. very enjoyable

2014 Georges Descombes Brouilly - regular, not the V.V. Some of the purest, most alive fruit I’ve ever tasted in a wine of any kind. Yet the texture is full and luscious without being simple juicy fruit - the freshness is in its flesh and not just the acidity. When birds eat perfectly ripened grapes right off the vine they’re probably experiencing something like this.

Any then they fly into powerlines!

I gotta go get some of this, and it’s cheap!

Great thread, Martin!

I’ve just discovered how much I like Cru Beaujolais, it’s kind of all I want to drink right now so consider this a “gentle prod” :wink:

I have a bottle of the 2014 Lapierre waiting around for me to try in the next week or two and the place I picked it up has a few magnums; given what everyone is saying about 2014 odds are good there’s one in my future!

Has anyone tried a 2014 release from Anne Sophie Dubois yet? I’ve had a few bottles of her 2011 Clepsydre Fleurie and they were so pure and beautiful.

2014 Domaine Dupeuble Beaujolais: Another year, another rock-solid Dupeuble. Perhaps not as dark and meaty as the superb 2013 rendition, as this one is more in the vibrant and red-fruited spectrum, but that’s not a knock by any measure. It is still a consistently delicious, vivacious, and versatile wine that’s exactly what you want on the dinner table almost any weeknight. A perfect wine to “defend” the Cru Bojos in your cellar.

I had their current release Nouveau and thought it was great, how does the normal release hold up over time generally? There’s some '12s and '13s available near me, at $15/pop I might have to do the world’s cheapest vertical and post my results :wink:

Bryan,

I’ve never cellared their regular Beaujolais longer than a couple years, but it’s always held up great. I finished the last of my 2013s a couple weeks ago, and it was in fine form. If I were to pick one, I’d take as many of the 2013s as possible.

Cheers,

Bill

We had one of these last night that was just excellent. Very similar to this note.

• 2014 Jean-Claude Lapalu Beaujolais-Villages Tentation - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Beaujolais-Villages (2/18/2016)
    Dark fruited on the nose with certain herbal and earthy qualities. Not very generous there but this sort of a Bojo is for drinking anyway. On the palate massively bright, energetic and happy. The cranberry and cherry-laden fruit is very much of the crunchy kind. Nice chewy mouthfeel - this is far from lean & mean. Plenty of acid and practically no tannins to speak of, with the 12 % ABV nowhere to be found: the drinkability here is huge. Beaujolais is known as value city and this 12 € bottle really takes you there. A party wine/post-workout recovery drink par excellence.

Posted from CellarTracker

Had the 14 Metras Fleurie off a rest list. Started off a bit carbonic but with time really developed beautiful floral lift, wonderful high pitched fruit. Very beautiful wine.