Coffee Roasting: the Behmor 1600 (and 1600 Plus) thread

Drip coffee maker mostly.

Once in a while I will do a french press, but drip is easier M-F.

been giving serious consideration to trying either an espro press or a chemex not sure why, just want to try something other than drip

I don’t think drip tastes the best, but it is the most convenient. And some drips are better than others too. Most don’t get the water hot enough – ideally you want between 195-205 degrees and most home devices only get up to about 165 degrees.

I do mostly pour-over and the occasional french press. The FP is particularly good for travellling, as it is self-contained.

buy a Technivorm Mocca Master

We have a techniworm mm at home and we use an aeropress (think french press) while on the road with a hand grinder. I do like the pourover method when there is time. Otherwise, I’m with Cory on M-F.

I think I am going to try an Espro press,I have a small burr grinder that does ok, should work for press grind, and I can heat the water in the microwave at work. Pour over looks fun but time wins out at work

back to roasting! Bought a few new ones from Bodhi Leaf to try. Last few roasts went quite well.

I just downloaded this software. It has the ability to interface with a blue tooth device which monitors the temps of my remote probes. I am going to try it out later this week. I was using artisan, but want to give this one a try as well.

Does the behmor have any set roast profiles, as in p2 equals this long at this temp, then this long at y temp type thing? I am trying to figure out how to emulate what you guys are doing on my roaster.

This page has the Behmor pre-programmed roast profiles, along with brief explanations. X-axis is Time, in percent of total roast time. Note that you can click on a graph to enlarge it. Below is P2, for example…
http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.behmor3_roast_quality.php

very cool info, David, helps me understand some of the voodoo. Thanks!

If you really want to geek out on brewing systems try a glass siphon brewer:

http://www.amazon.com/Yama-Glass-Stovetop-Coffee-Siphon/dp/B002CVTKW4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403706438&sr=8-1&keywords=vacuum+brewer

El Salvador La Bendicion CTH104. Roasted 1/2 lb on program B, P2 profile, and added 75 seconds. Was well into first crack when cooling started, amazing coffee that for me is near perfect–have roasted this twice w similar results. Darker roast than I thought I would like, but I was wrong-- I love it. Delicious–new for me from Bodhi Leaf.

This roasting hobby is great and the wife, a pre-roast sceptic, is totally on board–as long as I clean up.

Did 3 250 gram batches this weekend to different end temps. Going to rest the. A few days and see which I like the most.

Only thing I don’t like is switching beans in my grinder trying one vs another…waste too much and is messy.

Ordered the 8 lb sampler from sm also. Will try those over the coming weeks

seems like every week, Bodhi Leaf has an email special–this past week was 25% off all Costa Rica coffees and they had almost a dozen! So I bought another ten pounds of green beans–gonna compare the various ones.

She is probably estatic seeing you purchase coffee beans vs La Tache. newhere

Has anyone compared sources for green beans? I have bought exclusively from Sweet Maria’s and been happy so never tried another source. I see other sources mentioned in this thread and everyone seem happy with their source but has anyone done extensive comparisons or like me started with one and stuck with it?

the “you have enough coffee–stop buying” lecture was indeed much softer than the recent “you have enough wine–stop buying” lecture.

Sweet Maria’s beans are very high quality. I rarely see any uniformity or quality issues. I’ve only sourced beans from one other merchant, Coffee Bean Corral, and can say the same for them. I’ve seen photos of beans from other sellers that have scared me off. For example, the beans in the photos on Heirloom Coffee’s website look like absolute crap. If those are the photos they’re putting up, I can only imagine what you’d get in your shipment.

Did a half pound (Sumatra) using the half pound setting for the first time (P1). Added extra time but still barely made it into first crack. Note to self, continue to roast on 1 pound setting and just listen for the cracks.