Coffee grinders and related issues

well, maybe is the best i can come up with. it seems intuitive that what you say is true, but there may actually be differences. for example, baratza claims that their grinders work best with ceramic burrs for espresso but steel burrs for course-grind methods.

but this is really, really esoteric and more than a little crazy.

i think it’s still good advice to NOT buy a great espresso grinder if you don’t intend to make espresso. thankfully, that advice also results in spending significantly less money.

Is there any way to make decent espresso Yaacov on a space-normal budget?

what’s your budget all in? (grinder and machine)

I am not honestly certain. If you told me decent can had for $3-400 and you got to jump to $800 to get marginally better I’d have to think.

We loved the espresso @ Oenotri last month in Napa.

that’ll be very tight as the grinder itself will be $300+

i suggest getting one of the entry level breville machines and a vario refurb directly from baratza. the breville duo-temp pro is sold at bbb for $400 and you can use one of those 20% off coupons (usually). that’ll be around $700 all in and would be a more-than-decent setup.

but understand that you’ll likely want to upgrade the machine within a year. they really start getting good at $1000+

When you say machine you mean the espresso maker? So realistic budget to get going in-stride is $1300-1500?

And thanks man.

I agree with all of this. One of the most important aspects of a grinder (perhaps the MOST important) is the consistency of the grind. The thought is that a good espresso grinder can’t necessarily generate that consistency at a coarser setting and it’s especially true the other way. But, I also agree that you’re getting pretty esoteric unless you’re into coffee like we’re into wine.

Yeah, since most drip machines want a medium grind, as opposed to a french press, for example, which wants far coarser, I think only the geekiest geek would claim a Mazzer or a Baratza espresso grinder falls short for grinding the beans for their regular coffee. And they are likely imagining it. :wink:

yes, pretty much…any time. you can hunt down some used equipment on coffee forums, but those tend to be pretty high end.

Yes I agree one downside of the Baratza Vario is that it doesn’t quite go coarse enough for French Press. For drip it’s fine.

I am going to say don’t waste your money and find a shop you love. In my opinion there is no decent espresso from home sub 1K.

Same but different question. What if the only grind I wanted was french press? Will almost any burr do or is there…

Isnt that relative? I think my Breville cheapo setup still blows charbucks espresso out of the water. No feat to be sure, but at least it is drinkable.

i don’t think that’s true at all.

I have it with my Technivorm. A great, realistic price, set up. I couldn’t be happier.

I have a Baratza Vario and Breville Infuser, all-in just under $1K. It unequivocally blows away any coffee you’d get in a 30-mile radius of my house. The only downside I’d say is the single boiler machine isn’t great for cranking out several cups in a row, but it’s not an issue for me.

To Kenny, everything like this is subjective, so yes, it’s a realitive statement.

Yaccov tell me a grinder machine combo you consider worth that prices out under 1k. And we won’t even talk about scales, pitchers, etc.

And guys I don’t even consider char bucks drinkable.

i don’t see any value to this thread in attempting to convince you that you’re wrong on this issue.