Classic Bordeaux Producers

Agree, RT. It’s particularly relevant as every single year a few or more classic estates move over to the post-modernist consultants.

I have not had it but I thought I have read that Canon moved to the dark side with their 2015s? Is this true?

I would add Brane-Cantenac to the list.

For this to work we’re either going to need to restart the thread, or have the OP start the list / editing in the first post.

I made this mistake as well, and my following of Parker back in the day was to blame as he mostly dismissed style (especially modern styles) as an issue in his reporting, so I had to find out the hard way. In fact, when this very issue was raised back on the ebob forum, he was pretty dismissive of the critique, instead insisting that the modern styled wines were just better all around, not just different.

So yes, we need threads like this.

Started.

Duhart-Milon.
-What about Haut-Brion family brands?, or Lynch Bages?

Well done. JD was correct IMHO.

Nice, thanks!

Lagrange was one of the first Medoc wines to turn. I like the wines, as I found that they balance out with 20 years in the cellar. The '90 is drinking fantastic now and I haven’t detected a heavier oak treatment in the recent vintages. Definitely not as modern as what’s coming out from the recently turned, but still modern. I would equate the current style to a '94-'96 Napa blend, but with a little more earth.

Phelan Segur? There is not a lot of representation from Pessac on the list. Is Haut Bailly still considered to be made in the ‘traditional’ manner?

Thanks,
Ed

edited the list to include appellations

This^
Really? No classic Graves left?
I call for Alferts secret Classics list!

-Søren.

what are people’s thoughts on Palmer?

Some St Estephes are reported in the St Emilions grouping

Great! Now to alphabetize :wink:

And order by Classification

I really like it. flirtysmile
Also, what about L’Evangile

Batailley as mentioned above is super traditional. It’s not going to look good in a BDX beauty contest, but is the kind of wine you buy to drink after a couple of decades cellaring yourself.

I’d also give a plug for Cos Labory, another firm, old school left banker. These too will not win big points, or a blind tasting, but a glass of this is a very traditional wine.

I have not had recent Soutards, but if you can find them, which isn’t easy, the older ones are ageworthy, serious St Emilions. There can be a smidge of Figeac-esque to them as well. The proprietor and Parker didn’t get along, so scores, and thus imports, were somewhat suppressed for a long time. Plus they didn’t destem nor take all the other modernist/international efforts that other estates take.

Despite all that, I like modern Bdx too. One example: Charmail is a vinified in a unique manner, and turns out a just super wine. It’s right next to Sociando Mallet and, for my tastes, is friendlier and more consistent.

Good catch. I missed holding and separating Saint Estephe