Chicken v Egg?

Usually the meal first, but sometimes we get hankering to try some wine just arrived or a new producer, and we plan the meal around that wine. Offlines or wine dinners are another exception where the wine takes first billing.

Wine first when dining out 50/50; depends whom I’m out with. At home, it is always food first as I enjoy picking a wine to pair with.

Usually food comes first.

Food first. “Da boss” usually tells me what she is making, and I just pair a wine with it.

Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

[cheers.gif]

For me it is always food since I have a cellar of over 2200 bottles. A little bit of dis and a bissen of dat.

Bissel. Learn how to spell. Your Bubbe would be very disappointed.

Should have been bisschen [German not yiddish].

Food first, although when I first became obsessed with wine it was the other way around – I’d wake up in the morning and think about a wine I’d like to have that evening.

At home, it’s more often food first, but I do regularly plan a meal or menu around wine(s) that I plan on opening. In the latter case, it’s usually when I’m opening something that I’m particularly looking forward to.

When I eat out, it’s food first every time. Because of pretty severe self-imposed dietary restrictions, my food choices are usually very limited. I figure out what I’m eating, then try to find a wine that is best suited to it in my price range. If I can’t find anything, I order beer.

Dining out, always wine first.
At home usually food first. I have a fairly large cellar and I don’t pay much attention to pairing.

There’s an idea which will fester.

For us it depends on the food and the wine we are craving.

Except I agree about Bern’s. Wine is always first.

+1 on Bern’s.

I do go both ways on this. I guess I was just noticing that the idea of picking food to go with a particular wine is a relatively new thing for me.

If were at home one person is cooking the other chooses the wine. The person in charge of the wine opens and pours a sample and the cook tries to guess varietal, vintage, producer, vineyard, etc. Its a ritual we use to try and keep our nose and mouth in tip top shape. Most every meal gets wine unless Mexican food then we usually drink beer/margaritas.

I go both ways as well depending on the circumstance.

With restaurants, sometimes I just feel like a certain kind of food, so I pick the wine that will go with what I’ll likely order from the menu. But sometimes I’ve got a bottle I just need to try, and that drives the restaurant/food choice.

In eating from home, it’s pretty much the same thing as above, unless I’m planning a dinner party with fellow wine geeks. Then it’s all about the bottles I want to open and the food is chosen based on that.

Back to Bern’s next week. Work, work, work…