Chenin Blanc must die

Well, I’m all for more Chenin love, but let’s not throw the great white Burgundy baby out with the Chardonnay bathwater.

And, sadly, Loire Valley Chenin Blancs have not been immune to premature oxidation.

OK, Gary. Ignore the advice to like chenin blanc. You only need to follow your own palate. But why should critics and journalists stop advocating for the varietal because of your palate? If that is not your message, then what is your message? Just blowing off steam? That’s kinda hard to respond to intelligently.

I’m trying to think of a Chenin Blanc I have not enjoyed

Question: Why do you think that if you don’t like something it isn’t good? I see a strong pattern. And why so negative all the time?

For some reason, this reminds me of watching some trade people discuss an Alsatian Pinot Noir a few weeks ago. they all wanted to like it a lot more than they actually liked it.

Haven’t you ever heard of an exception to the rule? [cheers.gif]

Aside from the fine chenins from Loire, the best one Ive had in the US comes from Santa Barbaras Foxen Winery where Bill Wathen has been making chenin for 20 years plus and they are always very good and especially for the folks who do not like the varietal.

Me. too.

Agreed. I’d flip it and say a great wine that’s not too expensive. Goota get out more, Gary. [basic-smile.gif]

Chalone used to make one that regularly beat their Chard in blind line-ups…

Gary, thanks for starting a very informative thread!

[tease.gif]

Gary:

Next time, perhaps you could give some examples of what wines you drank and why each was less than appealing.

Amen. I’m growing weary of this guy’s posts too…

This is exactly the situation I was in a month ago. I love Alsatian whites, never had an Alsatian pinot noir, and I really wanted to like it, but there wasn’t much to like about it.

Let’s vote him off the island!
Seriously, I just thought Gary’s thread starter was the typical internet entree to discussion… half pontification, half provocation, full-on bombast.
Everyone’s got their own way of expressing themselves… no need for a hanging.

And he’s right, by the way: Chenin blanc is a terrible, terrible grape. All those wines by Huet and Chidaine and Baumard and Nicolas and Sansonniere and Pithon and Puzelat and Cousin and Joly and… none of em worth a plug nickel. Nobody should be buying these wines.
You hear me out there? Stop buying these wines!
Now!
Please.

Maybe we should have a chenin blanc:

• virtual offline

Ironically, this thread reinforces my fondness for Chenin Blanc, and particularly Savennieres and Vouvray. I always appreciate information about new producers from this region.

One of the very few generalizations that is essentially valid in wine is that Alsatian Pinot Noir stinks.

As a general rule, if I’m out with my in laws and they want a white, I always look for a Vouvray. Unlike you, I rarely find a Vouvray that I DON’T enjoy. A couple of months ago I had a NV Huet sparkling Vouvray that was outstanding – crisp, green apples. At $25 (or there abouts), a great bargain. If you were at my table when this was poured and made this Chenin Blanc must die pronouncement, I’d just move the bottle out of your reach and revel in your loss.

You betcha! [wink.gif]

Quite so. I know I’ve done my bit to remove them from the marketplace :slight_smile: