Charleston, SC Restaurant Recommendations Needed

Sucks having only one stomach and wallet.

Dined at McCrady’s over the weekend, and it was the best place yet. There tasting menu is divine and corkage is A-OK.

What was the corkage fee?

They said it was going to be $20/bottle, which we were OK with. But we shared our 3 wines with the waiter and the somm, and the corkage fees disappeared. They were very gracious.

But we also got these snacks, as well as coffees after, so maybe that helped as well.

4 course menu $65 per person
A collection of 5 Snacks before your meal, $20 per person

This place looks good
Xiao Bao Biscuit - 224 Rutledge Ave, Charleston

Looks like the storm is going to clear out of the way. We leave Fri morning. Thanks for the info.

The somm is Cappie Peete and she is very nice. Most of the time we call ahead and let her know we are bringing bottles. We have not been charged.

That place looks more than good. Too bad I miss out on it!

Xiao Bao is excellent.

Edmunds Oast was awesome last night.
Even better than I thought it might be.
Located north of downtown, but worth the drive.
Inspiring food for a place that bills itself as a “brew pub” with 48 craft beers on tap.
Sat at the chef’s counter as Dave suggested, that was fun.
I’ll post some pics when I get a chance.

Fig, as expected, was top notch Fri night.
$15 corkage, though they have a very solid, AFWE-leaning wine list.

Newly opened Obstinate Daughter on Sullivan’s island was also excellent and a nice addition to the beach food scene.

Leon’s Oyster Shop was excellent for lunch in a developing neighborhood north of downtown near I26.

Heading back to an old fave for brunch at Husk in a bit.
Too much good food in this town.
Not enough time, or space in my belly for it all. Already planning another visit.

Glad to see you enjoyed Edmunds Oast Dennis! As you can see in my post from May above, my wife and I also ate at the Chef’s counter and really enjoyed the whole experience. The menu had some interesting choices and the food was great, the view of the kitchen added some excitement to the meal, and the service was top-notch. We brought a couple of bottles of wine, shared some with our waiter, (who was superb BTW) and were not charged a corkage. It was our first time visiting Charleston and also our first time at EO, but I can’t wait to go back!

Two issues:

Any connections at Husk and McCrady’s?

December 12 at Husk and the 13th at McCrady’s we have parties of 12-14. They are only allowing us separate 4-tops at the moment with little possibility to push them together or have them close by. I know McCrady’s has larger private rooms but the costs are just a little high for some in our group.

What are the latest corkage policies at each of these restaurants? We plan on bringing a bottle or two per couple.

Thanks

Phil,

If you crave a great prime grade steak, check out Hall’s chop house. We had a tremendous meal there this past July. They had a more than decent wine list and wonderful live jazz music playing in the evening. I highly recommend it if beef is your thing that evening.

David

Had a similar issue at Husk over the summer.
As much as I love the place, they simply won’t budge on pushing tables together and their largest table accommodates 8 or something like that. I tried and pleaded. Sorry no connections.
I want to say I paid $25 for corkage one bottle at McCrady’s last summer. They do waive corkage if you buy an additional bottle off their extensive list. Not a bad list, BTW.
Probably want to talk to their somm in advance if you are bringing multiple bottles, just given the tone of the place.
I think Husk is $20, but not sure on that one as I’ve never brought wine in.
Have fun. Great food city. If you have any beer drinkers in your crew, squeeze in a visit to Edmund’s Oast!

Dennis knows, he’s always at the beach. :wink:

Husk is definitely difficult with a large group. Unless you have your heart set on eating there you may want to try cypress or macintosh. Im sure Charleston grill could accommodate you too. Maybe even grill 225 but I haven’t eaten there—plenty of time spent at the martini bar though. There was a large group at macintosh on the covered patio last time we were there and the food was really good. Went to a champagne bar called republic across the street with a good blues band afterwards.

Steve? Is that you? champagne.gif