Charleston/Savannah

Savannah should be gorgeous in April - with the azelas and dogwoods in bloom.

Apr 26
http://www.scad.edu/event/chalk-it-sidewalk-arts-festival-2014

Our daughter went to SCAD–The sidewalk festival is really impressive

Rats! We fly out Saturday morning EARLY.

Yes.

Another fan of McGrady’s. Furthermore, I had a really good meal (applejack glazed double porkchops) and good time at 39 Rue De Jean a couple of blocks from Marion Square.

The weekend of June 6-8 works for me. Is it too soon to start planning? [basic-smile.gif]

June 6 HRH and I will be playing Alice Cooper, LOUD [wink.gif]
Never too early to plan

Cru Cafe in Charleston is a good place for lunch. Get an outside table if you can and the weather is nice. I can recommend the duck confit salad, white wine truffled mussels, and my favorite…the shrimp BLT.

+1
my auntie used to make all their desserts before she retired.
The Huguenot Torte and the Orange Sherbet Cake are hers (but I think she took her recipes with her)

In Savannah, we did Mrs Wilkes for lunch - was epic. Cash only, opens at 11, I’d get there a bit before then - line moves pretty quickly. Family style, and just wonderful.

http://mrswilkes.com/

You’ll get better food quicker at Masada Café, United House of Prayer for all People, 2301 W. Bay St, 912/236-9499. Wonderful fried chicken, country fried steak, ribs, mac and cheese, red rice (a Savannah tradition) with oxtail gravy, assorted vegetables. Beverage choices pretty much limited to sweetened and unsweetened.

[/quote]

Why do they need unsweetened? [scratch.gif] Is that just for Yankees who may wander by? [wow.gif]

Why do they need unsweetened? [scratch.gif] Is that just for Yankees who may wander by? [wow.gif][/quote]

That, and because many people like to sweeten their tea themselves.

My wife and I are doing an exploratory “possible places to retire” trip this summer that will have us in Savannah and Charleston, among other places, this July. If any of you have any other recommendations for places to stay I would appreciate hearing them. I would also appreciate and Beaufort, SC hotel and dining recommendations.

Thanks in advance,

David

In Savannah, there is a beautiful island community called the Landings at Skidaway Island you should check out, esp if you like golf.

you know, maybe i’m just jaded, but McCrady’s, despite all the accolades, never won me over.

I had a great dinner there last December, if I remember correctly corkage was $20? Sommelier was great to chat with and very knowledgable.

Thanks. I have a business meeting in Savannah Sunday through Tuesday that week and am flying in a day early and so will be there on Saturday (at least by midafternoon. Sounds neat. [cheers.gif]