Charcoal Grilled Steaks

I haven’t run into any ‘poor’ cooking habits on the thread.

You think that all the posters who don’t cook one certain definitive correct way are all serving lousy steaks?

neener

The key to the OP is that it states,“I like a dark crust and a very, rare interior”. The challenge here is to get the outside dark and crusty without over-cooking the interior. How this can be done anyway other than over an open flame or intense direct heat would be unknown to me.

The “directly on the coals” method works great for this. I do it with SkirtSteak since it is so thin it would otherwise overcook before charring. Only use lump though.

I’ve been playing with lots of methods for grilling steaks. These days I pretty go with a reverse sear. 10-14 mins at around 200F with the dome closed flipping once. I pull them around 70F internal, get the egg rolling up to about 700F and sear closed dome with all that radiant heat. I’ve recently been toying with using my plate setter and cooking them indirect at first, still at 200F for about 20-30 mins depending on thickness. They are pulled around 90F internal and then seared open dome.

Both methods work just fine for the types of steak I like to eat.

Thanks for all the help everyone. I ended up getting a couple prime ribeyes (nothing crazy but delicious none the less) and doing a dual zone, reverse sear. Would have liked to render some of the fat down a little better, but hey not bad for very little charcoal experience.
20150704_185601.jpg
2015070495203311.jpg

Another
20150704_202153.jpg

Sean- very respectable job.

There’s lots of good information in that link, including quite a few tips that contradict some of the received wisdom about steak. “Room temperature” means nothing. The idea that steaks should either be salted way in advance or at the last minute is true. Reverse searing makes for a much more consistent steak, too.

when i read about tenting, flipping once, bringing to room temp, etc., - yes.

it has nothing to do with me though.

wouldn’t you have the same reaction if someone wrote about “sealing in the juices” by searing the steak?

Apologies, but that is all FOS steak dilettante-ism.

There are many ways that work perfectly.

Including this one?

Beef Jerky!