Champagne, France

When we arrived for lunch, they showed us to that little bar/solarium to have a drink/coffee, then we ordered at the table. I don’t know how the lunch and dinner menus differ, but we had 5 and 6 course lunches, and that was just the listed courses; there were a half dozen amuses/lagniappes along the way.

Lots of great information here.

Thanks for all the help.

However, I feel like the restaurant list is a list of places NOT to go to since I don’t want to pay those prices. I’m not one for fancy lunches or dinners. I know inexpensive places that locals go to do exist. Those are the places I’d like to find. If that doesn’t happen, I’m happy buying a baguette, some local cheese, fruit, charcuterie!

I can’t recommend any since I’m not living in Reims or Épernay, but a good strategy is to check the Michelin website for “Bib gourmand” in the area (those restaurants are usually on the cheap side and great value of money). A careful, critical reading of Trip Advisor (or other such sites) usually yields good results as well.

If you want dirt cheap you’ll probably end up eating chinese or a pizza. I would rather cook, most of the time.

I’m going to be in Paris next weekend between business meetings and was thinking about jumping the train to Reims for the day. I don’t know anything about the area. Can I get off the train and walk or cab to champagne houses right in Reims (I really don’t want to rent a car)? It looks like a number are there. Any suggestions of two or three places I could go in addition to visiting the Cathedral?

Craig

Taittinger, Pommery, or Krug(but it is by appt. only).

Thanks.

Yes a nice spot, the wine shop opposite has a few interesting things usually too (but not a great champagne range).

Keep the tips coming. Any must visit growers that accept visitors?

Sorry to hijack your thread but I thought cleaner to just continue on as my Q is about Champagne as well. Are there any other “big name” producers who run a hotel/b&b? Similar to what Selosse is doing.

Thanks.

In 2001 we visited one of the best wine museums we have been to - Le Phare de Verzenay. It was a windmill that had been moved to the property as the symbol of an long ago brand. The elevator takes you to the top of the windmill and you walk down with pictures and exhibits along the outside wall. The exhibits were 95% grape growing, social and cultural history and 5% wine making.

Take a look at the Champagne post in my winetravelaroundtheworld.com. I posted this on Wineberserkers in 2013, but it was easier to post this link.

Marilyn

For those of you who have asked, here’s a direct link to my post on Champagne: Champagne | Wine Travel Around The World

Marilyn

Nice notes; the tombstone for Bollinger is a little unsettling

Neal,

Not sure if you are serious or not about the Bollinger marker. These stone markers are seen throughout Champagne, and designate ownership of the vineyard (see my caption under the photo in the body of the post). Of course, these markers are not necessarily the same shape; Pommery’s Cuvee Louise marker is a rectangle.

Marilyn