Central Provisions, Portland, Maine

Per the discussion above, my wife and I ate at Vinland last Thursday. I posted a review in a separate thread: http://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1750533#p1750533. The precis: better than we expected, but does not seem to be thriving.

Any recommendations for the Oqunquit area? I will be staying in Perkins Cove in a few weeks

Different strokes for different folks.

You perfectly describe why I left San Francisco 9 years ago. Those restaurants you mentioned fall into two categories: doing the same thing for a decade without improvement or relying too heavily on produce and forgetting how to cook. Restaurants that catered to the old or nouveau riche and not to food enthusiasts. The curse of Chez Panisse.

Since I left, San Francisco has improved dramatically—I was not prescient. Still though, I’d rather spend $300 on 4 meals in Portland Maine or Portland Oregon (or Columbus Ohio?) than 1 meal (at Saison, for example) in San Francisco.

To each his own. I’m glad both exist if for nothing else to train the chefs and staff of the next great revolution.

For Thai food I’d go to Boda…they’re a favorite of mine in Portland. I am also a huge fan of Green Elephant for very specific curry dishes. Try the Siamese Dream or Panang Curry. Other places that are worth checking out Richard’s in Brunswick for authentic German. No comment on their wine/beer list. I do like Street & Co. for decent wine selections and good food as well. It is one place I’d like to go back. They had some decent half bottles if I recall.

After a visit to that area over Memorial Day, Peter, I am “happy”? to report that John Conte is indeed out of his Rockland place, which is now a butcher and grocery market. He is, however, sharing and cooking at an obscure outpost I like in Spruce Head, Spruce Head Pizza. The owner makes a creditable NY area pie and has for a few years, being from NJ himself (though his sauce is a little sweeter than I prefer.). Conte is now serving his repertoire to sit down diners there. I stopped by last weekend to confirm – and to encourage him–but did not dine there. At 5 pm Saturday the place had a few tables full. The menu is the same. http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g40895-d3381304-r274539069-Spruce_Head_Pizza-South_Thomaston_Maine.html

My 16-yo son just started working in Wiscasset for the summer, so we’ve found ourselves travelling to Maine a few times. Anyone eaten at Bao Bao in Portland (new dumpling place)? We went by for lunch but it was Monday and closed. The previous day we were in Brunswick and tried to eat at the same chef’s first restaurant Tau Yuan, only to find that one closed on Sunday! So no reports to give but they both had some great reviews.

We did find an industrial area near at the base of Munjoy Hill in Portland that housed, within a few block area, two craft breweries (Bunker Brewing and Oxbow–blending and tasting room, not their main facility), a craft distillery (Maine Craft Distilling), Maine Mead Works, and Urban Farm Fermentory. Also a decent coffee roaster, Coffee By Design. We didn’t visit the fermentory, and the mead I could live without, but the brews and spirits were excellent. Nice old rough neighborhood that looks to be going upscale quickly (eg the gravel road Bunker is on was being paved while we were there).

John

I’ve eaten at Bao Bao. It’s ok, but I prefer Empire, which both has better dumplings (although they are traditional, whereas Bao Bao’s gig is offering dumplings you wouldn’t see elsewhere) and better non-dumpling options. I recently moved to the Portland area from San Francisco and really missed dim sum. Empire is as good or better than most options in the Bay Area. The only critical thing they don’t have is a good rendition of what we like to call the fried pork doughnut.

My wife and I tried Back Bay Grill last weekend for the first time. We’re totally onboard with your recommendation. I think it’s my favorite restaurant in Portland so far. Fantastic food – my duck entree was particularly special – nice atmosphere (as you described), and completely non-touristy. We were also pleasantly surprised by the desserts, which are so often an afterthought. My “Chocolate Three Ways” was easily the best dessert I’ve had in Portland (not counting my wife’s chocolate chip cookies, which are a desert-island food for me).

In fact, the only concern we had when we left was that the clientele was mostly 60+. To be clear, we found it refreshing to eat somewhere that is clearly not trendy, but as good or better than any of the hot spots around town. We just wondered – if the demographic of our particular night holds true more generally – whether we’ll be able to enjoy Back Bay Grill 5-10 years from now.