caviar?

Jay,
I’m sort of local - I go there in person.

Browne is top notch, At one point, perhaps still today, one of the two biggest importers in the USA.
I have bought multiple ounces many times very happily! (a half kilo for my 40th!).

Ted
PS: You always could try it when visiting in person. They always were generous on tasting, and they never knew me from anyone else.

We have been using Kelley’s Katch for years and have been quite satisfied with the price/quality . I will be ordering again this week and new for this year is farmed white sturgeon. It is considerably more than the paddlefish but I intend to try a bit.

Cheers!
Marshall champagne.gif

I didn’t know Costco had caviar. I’ll go get and report back.
But…
About fifteen years ago I used to grab an oz of Osetra once a week from Zabars for 40 bucks, thought it was awesome, and someone here said Zabars caviar is lousy, so perhaps I’ve a yak palate.

What really bothers me about caviar is the accoutrements that come with caviar…chopped onions, really?

At Addison of all places, I had it served with pickled beets. Hell, I could not get a taste of the caviar.

My heaven of caviar for two is a good 4 oz jar, 2 caviar spoons, and a bottle of Champagne. No blinnies, no creme fraiche.

You speak the truth.

Kelley’s Katch interrupted my wedding ceremony - twice! Well, the FedEx guy trying to deliver our order for that night did anyway, thanks in part to my husband who left his phone on during the ceremony…That aside, the product was very good for a good price, and we forgave them. Will be ordering from them again soon. Thanks for the heads up on the farmed sturgeon - we’ll try that.

Richard
Since I have my own caviar brand let me be your caviar expert. All of the responses to your question leave me with some questions myself. [removed by admin] As wine people you will find that high quality caviar such as mine is so much fun when pairing it with the wines. Also, each caviar has its own taste profile. As with wines the most expensive does not meant the best of or that you will enjoy it.

I just checked out Kelley’s Katch. For the prices I’m eager to try it out; unfortunately they’re sold out for now.

I ordered some Caviarstar Israeli/Karat Osetra for delivery next week. Interesting video (politics aside) here:

I agree if the quality is there. Like with wine what is your benchmark?
High quality caviar is like a fine wine - complex.
My benchmark to quality wine is Bordeaux.
What is your benchmark?

My benchmark is pre-moratorium Russian wild Caspian beluga. What comes closest to that?

John, in my opinion, the quality of farm raised caviar has gone up and up, I could not tell the difference.
However some countries are better than others with their sturgeon farms. The US is not tops for me.I would go with Italian, Chinese, Romanian or Bulgarian. Romanian and Bulgarian would be the best qpr’s for me.

I’m not sure anything does, frankly. I’ve heard the hybrid Beluga/Sterlet is really good but has more sterlet character than you’d be looking for. It’s sort of like, whats the closest thing to Grand Cru Vosne, and the answer is, nothing comes close.

I don’t think the best farm raised stuff is worse than wild, these days. They’ve gotten much better at raising sturgeon.

Any opinions on the higher end Costco product, the Bulgarian Golden Osetra?

http://www.costco.com/.product.100088482.html?cm_sp=RichRelevance-_-itempageVerticalRight-_-CategorySiloedViewCP&cm_vc=itempageVerticalRight|CategorySiloedViewCP

Works out to under $50/oz. delivered.

Ray what have you tried that you ordered again? Have you tried the Israeli Osestra?

I ordered some Caviarstar Israeli/Karat Osetra for delivery next week. Interesting video (politics aside) here:

I ordered the paddlefish for my wine groups’ Holiday party. I will be serving it tonight for 16 peeps. In addition, I purchased a few ounces of the white sturgeon to try later this week. I will certainly post about it later on. The Israeli Osetra is on the horizon.

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]

My Costco has the farmed Bulgarian that is linked by Robert. Normally $60 for 1.76 oz., but currently $10 off. That makes it $28.41/oz. which is even better than the online one which comes to $33.33/oz. I bought it today and we found it to be very good. My wife polished it off in about 10 minutes. I will be going back for more.

I ordered the paddlefish for my wine groups’ Holiday party. I will be serving it tonight for 16 peeps. In addition, I purchased a few ounces of the white sturgeon to try later this week. I will certainly post about it later on. The Israeli Osetra is on the horizon.

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif][/quote]

The paddlefish from Caviarstar was excellent and terrific QPR [welldone.gif] …2 pounds disappeared quite rapidly! I will certainly be a repeat buyer!
Cheers!
Marshall champagne.gif

looking to buy some for new years. kelly’s katch has stock, but their shipping kills the deal maybe?

best qpr source in NYC?

Barry,

Sorry - just seeing your post. I’ve ordered a lot of different caviar from them over the years and have rarely been disappointed, especially at the price points.
The Israeli Osetra is very good quality and is a great qpr, relative to caviar pricing, of course.
Have just a a couple of ounces left from the 14 ounces we opened last night.