Carmel, Ca.

Thanks guys ! Great info.

Really? We have dined there twice, I liked it more than my wife, and Iā€™m not sure itā€™s in the best 10 restaurants in CA.

Recently? I had a truly spectacular meal there last year and Iā€™ve heard similar reports from others. Iā€™d put it in my top 10 nationally based on that meal. It wasnā€™t as good before Justin Cogley got there.

Also listed as the #14 restaurant in the USA on this list, FWIW: OAD Top 100+ U.S. Restaurants 2015

No, last time there was July 2012.

If you want to stay in Carmel-- La Balena is casual and fantastic.

Passionfish is still great.

Was at passion fish one month ago. I was happy with the white wine selection.
Not a fan of Casanova for dinner

I still say four years after my initial post that Grasings is our hidden gem. We were back in Carmel recently, our first night driven by our friends request was Passion Fish which we really like but I think a bit over hyped, great fun, donā€™t get me wrong. The following night was Grasings, fresh sautĆ©ed red abalone again, sooooo good, cool interior vibe, nice wine selection, we brought our own but bought bubbles. Very comfortable service.

Cheers,

Bud

More of a tradition for my family than a must do.We always dine there during the AT&T week,great people watching.

Cheers,

Bud

Agreed. Been disappointed twice at Casanova for dinner. But always had a good time at lunch.

JD

if you are used to top LA restaurants, Passionfish is a ā€œmeh.ā€

1 Like

The best wine/foodie restaurant in the Monterey/Carmel area is Chez Noir. Owned by the husband - wife team of chef Jonny Black and Monique Black. Jonny was executive chef at Big Surā€™s Post Ranch Inn and before that worked at Quince, Per Se and other notable spots. Cuisine is a seafood centric California French fusion. I was there last night and the passion/energy/precision of the team was exceptional, as was the food. My only possible complaint was the somewhat elevated noise level. Make your reservations well in advance - I made ours a month or so ago for a Monday night and the latest time I could get was 5:30. Recently became only the second area restaurant (Aubergine is the other) to earn a Michelin Star. Highest recommendation.

1 Like