Butter

If you’ll indulge me–when I was small (more years ago than I care to remember) my uncles and grandparents had a dairy farm. My grandmother use to fill a glass jug with fresh cream (maybe 2 gallons, IIRC) and insert a set of wooden paddles which she turned by hand until it became butter. After removing as much as she could, we kids were allowed to lick off what was left. Heaven! Nothing like that taste has come my way since.

Unfortunately it’s not for sale anywhere, of course.

I took your suggestion from another thread last year and ordered a decent amount. I found it to be excellent. I’m still working through the last of it since I vacuum sealed and froze most.

I have some Vermont Creamery butter right now that I bought for comparison and I definitely prefer Nordic Creamery. I would love to hear some other opinions about Nordic as compared to some of the more difficult to source suggestions here.

So glad you’ve enjoyed it!

I am 1/2 way through this book right now. It was part of a very buttery Christmas for me this year. This book, artisanal ghee, my own butter churn. I think my family was trying to send a message!

Call me a sucker for the mass produced, but I am a Kerrygold fan. I like that fact that no matter where I am, I can source it in just about any city supermarket.

And no, I haven’t used the butter churn yet.

TW

This. Always a carry back, kept in cold-insulated bag, 3 or 4 of these whenever coming home from France.

Delicious butter.
IMG_0560.PNG

When I’m stuck with supermarket choices, Kerrygold is definitely the choice.

Thanks for the link Dennis; I’ll try this soon.

Here’s my favorite recipe from the Tori Avey website: Shakshuka - Recipe & Video for Delicious Middle Eastern Egg Dish

Bourdier butter yes!

Agree

Can’t go wrong with Kerrygold.

Seared scallops finished with Bordier are delicious. I used the seaweed variant and it was one of the best things I ever made. I have none of that left, but have a couple if well wrapped packages of the Doux in the freezer.

This.

We’ve found that the seaweed variant does well when used with seafood dishes, and including even just wiping fresh on bread to go with raw or cooked shellfish dish.
The seaweed variant, unfortunately, is not popular in my household when served with regular breakfast.

I’ve been to a few Paris restaurants with raw bar that serve Bordier with seaweed as their butter.

About 6-7 years ago my aunt was all excited about making butter at home over a holiday. She was giddy, got my parents to participate and everything. Her mom/my grandmother (now 101) was not impressed. She still viewed it as a “chore” 85 years later.

Not that easy to find but I like Presidents buttter.

Animal Farm Butter is available from Saxelby Cheesemongers.

Sold out, it says.

That was quick.

at $50 per pound.

Shipping is just $29. So, that works out to $79/lb. I’m sure it’s excellent, but it’s way outside my value wheelhouse to spend that on butter.

The last time someone found it available, the costs were very similar and it flew out the door. So, there appears to be plenty of customers despite the price.

Just picked up some Les Prés Salés at Gelson’s. $4.69/250g.

I like it more than my wife, who doesn’t like it much at all. We both prefer salted Rudolph Munier’s salted Beurre de Baratte by a considerable margin.

and I switched from Beurre de Baratte to Prés Salés, preferring the latter!