Burgundy - starting to get it.

Yes, it’s pretty good - and augmented with wine refrigerators.

Looking to go more aged to start - might check out 2010 in the near future.

Along with a few more bottles of the 1997 Potel CdlR Grand Cru, there are 3 bottles of 1995 Bertrand Ambroise Corton Le Rognet Grand Cru coming my way also. Looking at some 1er Cru too from 2001 and 2002 as well.

You bet!

I had a Rene bouvier charmes 2003 and it was not hot at all…it’s was all Asian spice laden love

From what I have tasted, I really love 2010s.

+1

This was, indeed, a winner. I could sit and swirl and sniff this for awhile. A pretty red fruited and ethereal bouquet. The texture is one of silk and depth, strawberry and rhubarb come to mind, and later a faint dark chocolate note becomes noticeable. A finish of considerable interest. There must have been structure (tannin, acidity ) to this when young, I guess, but it’s all resolved into a complete package here. Delicious.
image.jpg

Gotta love arrival day!

Coming back to this thread over a year later yields few surprises. I’m still hooked on Ponsot ('95 and '02 CdlR plus '95, '99, and '03 C-C) and have picked up several more bottles of Ambroise Corton le Rognet ('95 and '10). Haven’t bought any more Gouges, but wouldn’t hesitate for a good deal. Have tried a few Potels from '97 through '02 and enjoyed them.

Been very lucky to find several bottles from recommendations in various threads here, particularly at the lower levels. '05 Alain Burguet Gevrey-Chambertin Mes Favorites VV, '05 Le Moines Bougogne, and '07 Faiveley Gevrey-Chambertin are all spouse approved. We also discovered that softer vintages from Comte George de Vogue Chambolle-Musigny are right up our alley, thanks to a suggestion by Susan at Belmont Wine Exchange.

There have also been a few producers that just didn’t click with my wife and I despite trying several vineyards / vintages. Latour and Jadot just didn’t tickle our fancy.

So the journey has been fun so far. Even better, my wife approves! [highfive.gif] She’s not particularly fond of tannins, and isn’t the fan of Cab that I am. Things are sooooo much better when your significant other is on board.

You might want to try some 1996 and 1997 Jadots. The 1996s are superb, and they really made some astonishingly good 1997s.

Both Clos Saint Jacques are drinking beautifully, and I was able to pick up several bottles of the great Chambertin Clos de Beze 1996 at auction in your price range late last year. The 1997 Bonnes Mares in magnum (worked out at $150 per bottle) showed incredibly well in November beating out your beloved Ponsots.

There’s a '96 Chapelle-Chambertin in the queue. Still trying a few vintages Faiveley Gevrey-Chambertin and Comte de Vogue Chambolle-Musigny right now.

Well, the per-bottle budget I set at the beginning of this quest has long been surpassed… maybe shattered is a better word. [snort.gif] Buying magnums of Ponsot will do that. [cheers.gif]

The best way to learn what you like is to go to lunches/dinners BYO with a Burgundy theme. It allows you to compare and refine. I have learned to keep the groups small (my ideal is never more than six bottles on the table) pour all wines at the beginning of the meal, and enjoy the evolution of each wine.

To stay within a reasonable budget there are some Jadot 1er Beaune wines with age that would keep you in the under $50 range that are delicious. Here’s one sleeper … EnoViti: 1996 Louis Jadot Beaune Boucherottes .

Next stop - white Burgundy - and then, finally, RIESLING.

Riesling is already a staple at our house. I buy JJ Prum by the case - most recently 2011 Graacher Himmelreich Spatlese.

Oh, and your post in another thread about my wife’s taste was what made me start to realize she just doesn’t like tannins. [thankyou.gif]

Unfortunately those prices don’t translate to Texas. I wish they did. I have decided to go through my Burgundy palate education tasting village by village.

I couldn’t agree more. But my insistence on drinking this way - just me, mind you, not others - got me booted from the group.

I’ll add to Maureen’s agreement to pour everything early and watch them evolve (leaving the question of “proper” preparation on the table).

And, I especially add to Mark’s “smallness” preference. Really get to know a particular group of Burgundies well is key to developing your own preferences. And, for me, fewer people, fewer wines and less elaborate food to compete with the wines are all conducive to getting to know them. The more each element is increased, the less likely there will be good repayment of such an effort, IMO. I’ve pretty much stopped going to “big” events for that reason: my head was usually spinning as I tried to record my impressions. A good “theme”, like a single vintage, producer, village, etc. helps the focus, too.

Just an FYI: my wife and I are members of a wine club. We have dinners once a month on average. While it is more Californiacentric, there are some old school French wine lovers that are sort of a group inside the group. Once in a while we all agree to bring Burgundy and/or Bordeaux depending on the specials the restaurant we’re dining at has for that evening.

Love Prum.

What did I say in the other thread? I guess I am brilliant, but with no memory. [oops.gif]

Sounds like an evening at Berns! That’s a seriously expensive bottle of wine. Well done and glad you enjoyed it. I’m still on the journey to find an eye opening Burgundian Pinot… haven’t sampled one yet.

I’ll remember to bring a few bottles if we’re ever at the same off-line. Got the odd bottle back to '83. There’s at least 6 cases, probably more, in total. Both my wife and I like it.

Don’t remember the exact wording, but I’ll search the post. You noted my wife liked mature wines instead of just fruity, so I put it to the test based on tannins. Sure enough, the less tannic and more resolved the wine, the more she liked it.