Bummer: 2010 Rhys Alpine Chard

That is a bummer. I’ve had great luck to date with Rhys Chardonnay. I’ve probably consumed about two cases. I’ve never had an off bottle (knock on wood). They are so consistently good that they are the only California Chardonnay I buy any longer.

Popped a 2010 Alpine chard tonight which I purchased from the winery on release. Mine is not what I consider pre-moxed. Compared to a 2010 Horeshoe chard I tasted last weekend, this is much darker in color and certainly rounder and creamier. I do think this is evolving more rapidly than some other Rhys chards. That being said, I am enjoying this and wished all my pre-moxed Burgundy tasted this good.

We had a bottle last night with local albacore, what a delicious Chardonnay! Golden in color and the nose leaps from the glass with apples, stone fruits and some subtle more tropical fruit. Great layered taste with terrific mouthfeel. Good finish, not at all poxed.

I think the bottle we opened could go 5 more years effortlessly if I’d left it alone on the bottom shelf. Glad I didn’t though!
IMG_3313.JPG

I had the 10 Horseshoe a couple nights ago and it was definitely advanced. Not entirely without character, but the oxidation (or whatever it was) made me dump the last 1/3 of it.

+1. Only domestic I buy.

Have either of you tried Ceritas?

+1000. Good job Rhys. [cheers.gif]

Totally agree! One of the most memorable chards I’ve had in the last two years.

+1 Ceritas.

Recently opened the 2010 Alpine and Horseshoe Chardonnays to see how they were evolving. I agree with Brian’s take on the Alpine. It was big and blowsy and not as complex as a usual Rhys Chardonnay. Not much cut or delineation. Throughly enjoyable with lobster.

The 2010 Horseshoe Chardonnay was terrific. It improved in the glass, took on weight, firmed up and had a mineral-tinged finish. Much more complex than the Alpine.

Separately, the 2008 Horseshoe Pinot Noir is drinking beautifully.