Buenos Aires restaurant recommendations

I’ve been in the DC area for 12 years after 12 years in Pittsburgh (Go Steelers!). I used to go visit the fam in Argentina way more often before kids… Lol.

It is a great location. While it’s generally very safe in most of BA, be very careful not to let any one know you have dollars. Also, don’t exchange to much at once since exchanging back is next to impossible. Your friend will give you the low down on not getting yourself into any problems. Also make sure you get the right menus, not the tourist ones.

FYI- The way I explained it to my wife is that BA is a mixture of NY, Paris, Rome and Brussels, with a bunch of short white people who speak Spanish.

Elections are always a big deal in Argentina. Normally the worst that happens is one group strikes. There might be demonstrations, but everyone knows where they will be and are normally not violent. We were there during the farmers strike (which was a big deal) and it just made travel a bit of pain, but not much else.

Definetly follow up with how it goes and notes.

Thanks J. Good advice on the menu. We find the tourist menu and rates to be common in many countries in Latin America. It is understandable but a bit frustrating. I suspect we will do our exchanging with our friends and out of sight. You are right about not exchanging too much. We really don’t want any left over.

Has anyone been to Siete Fuegos in Mendoza and care to give their impression?

I won’t be going there. I looked at the Vines but that place is way to expensive for me. I will be going to Mallman’s 1884 Restaurante in Mendoza when I am there. I am also visiting Gimenez Riili’s winery. He and Michael Evans are partners in the Vines. Interesting concept. There are plenty of reviews of Mallman’s 1884 Restaurante.

Saw this on Saveur today:

Very helpful link Jorge. Gracias por su ayuda.

De nada! Went to BA & Mendoza in late 07 for my honeymoon. Good memories of the trip. And Mallman’s place was indeed a highlight.

thanks everyone. This is helpful info. We’re staying in the Recoletto (sp) area of BA so any tips for this area appreciated!

Jay,

Recoleta where you are staying and Palermo where we will be are adjacent areas. If it works for me, it will probably work for you. Both are great areas of BA.

On a side note…try your best to do Sunday Brunch at the 4 Seasons in Recoleta. Absolutely sublime…at least in 2007 it was!

A couple of years ago we stayed in Recoleta and had several consistently excellent meals at La Olla de Felix. Corky little restaurant for maybe 20 people where the menu changes daily - we kept coming back.

Another recommendation - the Dulce de Lecce ice cream at Freddo is to die for.

Thanks Ivan. Great info for both Jay and me.

Often in BsAS.
Last trip I very much enjoyed La Floreria Atlantico- downstairs through a vault in a flower shop. Great crowd and food.
Most places are either traditional Parrilladas or Parrrillas like La Cabrera, El Estabo, Mirasol, el Sanjuanino, Don Julio, or Piegari, or some Italian like Sottovoce,
Or Osaka in Palermo, and so many others.

It’s even worth it for lunch though crazy pricey for what it is at Cabanas Las Lilas in Puerto Madero. Chila is really good in Puerto Madero.
I used to very much like a place called Bengal- Argentine - Indian prix fix multi course dinner cooked by ex Indian embassy chef and well run by Marcella who also owns a very nice wine shop.

You could do well by checking out a site called Pick up the fork and another called guia oleo.
I’ve eaten in many Peruvian Fusion places and they are good not great like Osaka. The more divey ones can be fun.

It’s a lively city with a fun and energetic emering food scene.

Great info chetkern. I find personal referrals much better than any other way of picking restaurants when there are so many to choose from.