British Columbian Wine - Opinions Please

Cool! I totally will take you up on that if I’m ever there! I might have met Jamie while podcasting but I’m sure I met him at the winery where I work part-time, probably late 2015. Either that or at a large wine store where I used to work but that was a few years ago. Is he on this site?

Good to know! There were parts of the old Usenet that I really liked. Glad I don’t have to use Pine for email anymore though… (Anyone for a shout out to Unix? … Yeah, no, didn’t think so…)

Montreal’s competition was different from the Vancouver one. The Vancouver one is way smaller than what it used to be in Montreal (I used to live there) and a lot less organized in my opinion. The old pier in old Montreal was way nicer than crowding around English Bay.

A very good opinion, thank you. I know Rasoul although he might remember me more as the cellar hand that worked with James Cambridge at LVP for the harvest in 2008. I think that was his first year. I haven’t seen him in a long time. Please tell him that I said hello next time you see him.

I certainly will Luke. Good luck with your book. Let us know when you have it available.

I was up in Richmond B.C. every month during the latter part of the last decade so gained some experience with their wine. Also, Wine Press Northwest (Andy Perdue’s magazine) used to cover BC wine, so read something about what was going on up there. Remember a big fire affected some of the wineries one year.

Back then, found Burrowing Owl to be the most consistent wine for my Bordeaux loving palate.

Tried some 2005 Osoyoos that Garagiste hyped, was very disappointed. Was given some Road 13 as gifts when I retired, good but not memorable.

As others have pointed out, you rarely see the BC wine here in Seattle in the shops. Too bad given the great exchange rate right now!

I do not think he is here but he is on Facebook. We’ll keep an eye out for you over here :slight_smile:

I would urge visitors to dig deep in the Similkameen Valley…such a gorgeous area, with some lovely wineries who will receive you with open arms. E.g. Orofino, Little Farm, Clos du Soleil.

In the Osoyoos area, look out for Lariana. Very small scale, they don`t produce a lot…but what there is, is choice. Try the Viognier. Also Moon Curser - check out the Tannat.

The best Cabernet Sauvignon I’ve ever tasted came from the Naramata Bench, the Kettle Valley Crest Vineyard Cab.

I did vintage in the Okanagan in 2013. I’m from Australia and knew pretty much nothing about the industry over there.

I was surprised at how warm it was in the summer months. Beautiful place though. I can only echo what other comments have said about the fruit salad of varieties planted there, which is kind of a sign of the immaturity of the region overall. Says a lot that I liked some of the Syrah and Malbec as much as I liked the Pinot Noir and Chardonnay. It’s weird though. Diurnal range is huge, and it gets cold in a hurry. Makes me think the real late-ripeners like Cabernet, and even Viognier, Marsanne and Roussanne had no business growing there, when there was snow on the ground and they were still hanging. Lots of microclimates in the region though. Placement is everything… The Eastern side of the bench (getting the Western sun) is more prized for that reason. I have fond memories of Blue Mountain’s Pinot (very burgundian style), and their sparkling, as well as Foxtrot’s Pinot and Chardonnay. Church and State’s Syrah was spicy and lean and terrific, and I also remember Joie’s PTG as a highlight.

Someone else mentioned the Similkameen. Other side of the mountains, some terrific wineries there which I felt were a bit under-appreciated. Seven Stones, Orofino were highlights.

I would love to find some BC wines in my neck of the woods but I know there’s a fat chance of that ever happening. I’d have to import them myself, which I have considered doing despite the taxes…

This is great reading, folks. Keep it coming!

I hadn’t realized until I looked up Vieux Pin for one of my posts above that that’s where Rasoul was headed when we met in 2008. I’m not surprised, given his evident good palate.

Good perception from Gareth so thanks.