Brewery suggestions welcomed - ME, NH, VT

I worked with David Geary throughout the 90s, and their ‘Geary’s Ale’ is still my benchmark for a good British styled Bitter. Remember, true British Bitters rarely get over 4% alcohol, and I get so sick of the American versions that tip 6% plus alcohol - they have more in common with IPA’s than a true Bitter -

Geary used Fuggle hops with their Bitter, which gives it a touch of grassiness to dance off the hops. It’s low in alcohol, and for me, the ONLY American Bitter that comes close to a good British Bitter. While it’s far from being fashionable in today’s craft beer world, it’s still the total bomb for me -

What an awesome trip! Almost 1,200 miles driven in 4 days. Some disappointments (arrived at Tree House 9 minutes after the hard cut-off so was only able to buy a single can off a very generous guy in the parking lot; couldn’t make it to Oxbow; Alchemist doesn’t open on Sundays which is the day I had free in Vermont) but a LOT of great moments/beers! I’ve fallen head over heels in love with the NEIPA haze!

Stoneface Brewing in Newington, NH (5 minutes NW of Portsmouth) was awesome. Their IPAs are legit!

Bissell Brothers needs little added hype in the cannon of New England IPAs…but I’ll add on to the love! Plus, the space is awesome.

Next stop was Foundation Brewery outside of Portland. Delicious sour farmouse ale (Zuurzing) and Maine IPA (Epiphany)
IMG_7427[1].JPG
Final stop in Maine was the OG of the ME craft beer scene, Allagash. It has a special place in my heart as one of the first craft beer destinations I ever visited back in 2007 or so. The brewery has almost entirely been redone and it looks amazing. The stouts and sours are phenomenal (specifically the Avancé that was being poured in 5 ounce portions along with 4 other beers…all for free mind you) and the bonus of having the best lobster roll I’ve ever eaten from the food truck in the yard just madde this a fantastic visit.

Avancé (sour aged in wine barrells with strawberries). The nose on this one was intoxicating

The BEST lobster roll on my trip was from this truck

The final haul:
IMG_7479[1].JPG
In general, just an awesome trip and if anyone ever wants to plan a brewery hop through these 3-4 states (MA, NH, ME, VT) sometime in the future, I’m game.

Sounds awesome! Have done a Boston-Freeport-Portland trip, but want to go back and hit the neighboring states.

Thanks for the write up. I don’t think you missed much at Oxbow. Great people but beer go from GREAT to meh at very best.

I will be hitting Bissell Brothers in November. Ended up hitting Oxbow instead on my previous trip to Portland.

Jason

Sounds fun…you really need to spend a long weekend up in the Burlington/Warren, VT area. It is off the charts if you’re into NEIPA.

Yeah, unfortunately arrived on Saturday night and headed straight for dinner at Lareau Farm / American Flatbread (unbelievably good not-pizza pizza!)

Pint of Sip of Sunshine watching the last bit of sunshine of the day.

Next day was breakfast at the Warren Store after a work meeting and lunch at Prohibition Pig in Waterbury. The Bantam DIPA was also amazing:

Looks and sounds amazing!

I freaking love Prohibition Pig. The food is much better than it has to be, the beer list is world class, and they are often playing a live Grateful Dead show. Their Bantam DIPA is one of my favorites.

We will be there in three weeks. Last time I was there, I couldn’t resist buying two of the beer tulips and two rocks glasses.

Please tell me you went across the street to Craft Beer Cellar?

As an aside, my family and I are skiers and we have some family in Burlington. I’d like to eventually own a small place in the Mad River Valley. It’s a special place with a vibe that is so hard to describe and even harder to replicate.

Wow Jorge what a nice write up. Enjoy the stash you brought back.

Apologies for the dated response, your next trip could make use of these suggestions on your next itinerary:

• Burlington Beer Company – Williston, VT ---- Amazing portfolio of beers
• Foam Brewers, Burlington VT ----- 112 Lake St, Burlington, VT 05401

• Great North Ale Works – Manchester, NH ---- Try the Moose Juice IPA

If you’re in Waterbury VT, you need to visit the “Craft Beer Cellar”, 3 Elm St, Waterbury, VT 05676
You’ll find beers there that many of the breweries don’t carry. Excellent growler station.

Cheers!