Bottle of Pain III Schoolhouse at Cannondale Wilton Ct Sept 26th 6pm- ONE SPOT OPEN !

Fixed.

Are we all going to share what we are bringing? I want great wine, but it often makes for a better tasting if the wines are somewhat aligned. For instance 1961 Latour and 2010 Maybach don’t fit all that well together. I am out of '61 Latour, but once brought it and '94 Harlan to a tasting and they definitely didn’t play all that well together.

The theme is Bottle of Pain. Unless told otherwise, that theme is open to interpretation; unless JS modifies the original theme. I do have Schraders available. I’ll go with the flow.

Not complaining about your selection. Just trying to think about painful older or painful younger … since I would like to make it fun

Is this painful > 06 Château Haut-Brion Blanc? neener

Yes Steve we will share what bottles we are bringing in advance. I am pretty flexible. I think it might be hard to do an event where we did just aged Bordeaux. I tried a while back Not everyone could fit the theme and it didn’t happen I think though if we could match them up as close as possible that might work. Lets say flight of old Bordeaux at the beginning and younger wines later. I don’t know your thoughts on this. I would be open to others thoughts. I do think that we should make sure that the wines are ready to drink. For and SQN that might be 3 years on a Bordeaux more like 20.

Sounds reasonable

sorry guys, I can’t make the 26th. hope to catch the next go around.

We have a reservation for 10 people at 6pm on Sept 26th. This is the only time they had available. It should work for me hope it does for others too. Their normal corkage fee is $30 which is understandable for 1 bottle. She assured me they would work with us however. I am hoping to get it down to $15 but we shall see. As for the menu they cannot do a custom menu on a Friday but their regular menu is constantly changing and fabulous. I would personally prefer if we lean towards a global theme as opposed to US where I think I have tried many of the best wines. I wont refuse a bottle of Screagle though. :slight_smile: Ideally if people could give a few choices that would be nice so the group can have a little input. [cheers.gif]

Good news I just spoke to Evie at the Schoolhouse and they agreed to $15 per bottle corkage. I am very happy with that number as its half the regular rate. If people wish to start posting ideas of what they will bring that would be great. I think it would be great to start out with a Champagne. If others wish we could do a flight of whites or go into reds. Either way is fine with me. Ideally if people are flexible with a few choices we can put the wines in close pairings. I will be bringing 2 bottles by the way 1 red tbd and either a sauterne or champagne depending which is needed.

I wish I had some older Bordeaux but I can offer up a 2002 Latour. I think with 2-3 hours or more decanting this should show well and has pretty good notes on Cellartracker. Sound good ?

I can bring some decent Champagne

PHILIPPONNAT CLOS DES GOISSES BRUT 1999???

I have a bunch of 100pts SQN too.

or a 76 Pommard but that might be the wrong kind of painful.

Unfortunately I’m going to have to miss this. I have no transportation available that night

Hey Drew, we can drink that California plonk at the end of the table. SQN + Maybach = soup and sandwich, horse and carriage, Mutt and Jeff etc etc etc. [wink.gif]

Let me change this to a maybe, working on transportation issue. Also have some SQN.

Can anyone offer up a Bordeaux to pair with the Latour ? Otherwise I might change to something US like Maya. I would hope we can get half the btls to be French or Italian or even high end Spanish, as I have tried most US wines, Drew I like the idea of the Philipponnat champagne. I probably should have made theme French bottle of pain but I am not going to change theme just ask people to think globally

Sorry, but I think I maybe have 5 bottles of French in my cellar and none of it is high end

I have Bordeaux with age on them. Could also do Italian. Could also muster Spanish.

I can offer up some Abreu, Bryant, Colgin, SQN or Harlan. Various vintages of all

Have some older Bordeaux, some high end Spanish. Also some Kapcsandy, Ridge, Togni, etc.