Boston area--Sat 1 October 2016, Dumpling Daughter (Weston MA)

I’m afraid I can’t make it this time. I hope everyone has a good time!

We should start to list what we will be bringing figure me for either a DP or Krug. I’ll check back in when I return from London the 29th,bb champagne.gif

Sounds good Ron.

I’ve been on vacation and my laptop was being repaired. I’ll get my act together and finalize the menu this week with the owner…

Hi All,

I just wanted to update everyone about the October 1st dinner at Dumpling Daughter, since we are getting down to 12 days to go.

I am working with the owner Nadia to come up with a menu, and will send that around as soon as possible. Please let me know ASAP if you have any allergies or severe food aversions (Doug I have you down).

The current attendee list is in the first post below and was also sent around to those of you for whom I have email addresses. Please confirm it is correct and that you are still in, either by email to me or on this thread or by personal message here.

If you already know what wine you are bringing, feel free to declare it now. No absolute requirement to do so in advance, but doing so helps make sure we don’t all bring Sauternes.

champagne.gif

I’ll bring a 1999 Robert Ampeau & Fils Volnay 1er Cru Santenots (assuming I can find it following my cellar move).

Might have some duck on the menu.

OK, here’s a draft menu from Nadia, which she describes as a “generous amount of food for 12 people”, priced at $45 per person before tax, and served family style. It looks like she went with a fairly light menu (probably because I mentioned one of us is pescatarian), which I’m fine with but we should select our wines to reflect this. There seem to be only 1 or 2 dishes I expect might actually be spicy-enough to be wine killing (Sichuan Vermicelli), so we might want to pair them with Riesling/Gewürztraminer , but I’ll ask her about that. I don’t see any desserts on their website, so maybe someone can bring a sticky wine to finish with. She’s open to modifying order/components as we see fit, so let me know what you think…

They have enough glasses for 1 or more per person, so I would count on bringing your own if possible.

Course 1 (P=pescatarian 8/10 courses)

1. Sally Ling’s Cucumber Salad [crispy English cucumber with sesame peppercorn oil] P
  2. Ma La Sichuan Spicy Vermicelli with Cilantro & Cucumber [spicy tongue tingling cold noodles] P

Course 2
3) Three Stuffing Dumpling Sampler (3 per person–they have pork/cabbage, pork/chive, chicken/cabbage, mixed veggie, chicken/sichuan) P
4) Sally Ling’s Vegetable Spring Rolls [crispy rolls with cabbage, black mushroom, carrots] P
5) Minced Chicken Soong in Lettuce Leaves [light with a savory plum sauce]

Course 4
6) Steamed Whole LIVE Fish [finished with ginger & scallions, soy] P
7) Grand Marnier Shrimp [crispy shrimp with creamy orange citrus glaze] P
8) Lion’s Head Meatball with Baby Bok Choy [tender pork-shrimp-leek meatball in Chef’s pan sauce]

Course 5
9) Crispy Brussel Sprouts [sesame soy dressing, siracha & kewpie mayonnaise] P
10) Wok-roasted String Beans with Minced Mustard Greens P

Slight update on the menu for course 3) and adding 11). Nadia confirms the only two spicy dishes are 2) and 9), and mentions that an off-dry riesling recently worked very well with the latter. Price with be ~$45/per person, or a bit more.

One other thing that I’m not quite clear on: Nadia mentioned they don’t require tipping. I will have to quiz her on that point further…

Menu (served family style):
Course 1 (P=pescatarian 9/11 courses)

1. Sally Ling’s Cucumber Salad [crispy English cucumber with sesame peppercorn oil] P
  2. Ma La Sichuan Spicy Vermicelli with Cilantro & Cucumber [spicy tongue tingling cold noodles] P

Course 2
3) Three Stuffing Dumpling Sampler (3 per person–shrimp and vegetable) P
4) Sally Ling’s Vegetable Spring Rolls [crispy rolls with cabbage, black mushroom, carrots] P

Course 3
8) Lion’s Head Meatball with Baby Bok Choy [tender pork-shrimp-leek meatball in Chef’s pan sauce]

Course 4
9) Crispy Brussel Sprouts [sesame soy dressing, siracha & kewpie mayonnaise] P – Nadia suggests an off-dry Riesling

Course 5:
11) A selection of: Sesame Balls with sticky rice and red bean paste, Sticky Rice Balls with black sesame paste, and Golden Fried Buns with condensed milk P

If there are no objections, I’m going to ask Nadia to switch the order of dishes up as listed below.

Here’s what we have so far:

Kevin F – TBD
Ron B – 2009 Pierre Gimonnet Champagne Blanc de Blancs Brut Fleuron
Doug S – Champagne or Dry Riesling
Ron K + Joyce – Dom Perignon or Krug Champagne
Bryan W + Kelly – Something red TBD
Kevin L + 1 – Pinot + Riesling
Albert B + 1 – TBD + TBD
Steve C – 2005 Château Rieussec Sauternes

Course 1: Champagne

2. Three Stuffing Dumpling Sampler (3 per person–shrimp and vegetable) P
  3. Sally Ling’s Vegetable Spring Rolls [crispy rolls with cabbage, black mushroom, carrots] P

Course 2: White or Champagne

Course 3: Lighter reds

Course 4: Off-dry whites
2) Ma La Sichuan Spicy Vermicelli with Cilantro & Cucumber [spicy tongue tingling cold noodles] P
9) Crispy Brussel Sprouts [sesame soy dressing, siracha & kewpie mayonnaise] P

Course 5: Sauternes
11) A selection of: Sesame Balls with sticky rice and red bean paste, Sticky Rice Balls with black sesame paste, and Golden Fried Buns with condensed milk P

You still list Joyce as attending

Yes, Katie had to drop out, so was able to add Steve. Is Joyce still interested in coming?

Not coming

Eric B, a spot has opened up…are you still interested?

Updated:
Course 1: Champagne

1. Sally Ling’s Cucumber Salad [crispy English cucumber with sesame peppercorn oil]
  2. Three Stuffing Dumpling Sampler (3 per person–shrimp and vegetable)
  3. Sally Ling’s Vegetable Spring Rolls [crispy rolls with cabbage, black mushroom, carrots]

Ron K – Dom Perignon or Krug Champagne
Ron B – 2009 Pierre Gimonnet Champagne Blanc de Blancs Brut Fleuron
Doug S – 2007 Vilmart & Cie Champagne Coeur de Cuvée

Course 2: White or Champagne
6) Steamed Whole LIVE Fish [finished with ginger & scallions, soy]
7) Grand Marnier Shrimp [crispy shrimp with creamy orange citrus glaze]

Kevin L – Riesling

Course 3: Lighter reds
10) Wok-roasted String Beans with Minced Mustard Greens

Kevin L – Pinot
Brian W – Something red

Course 4: Off-dry whites
2) Ma La Sichuan Spicy Vermicelli with Cilantro & Cucumber [spicy tongue tingling cold noodles]
9) Crispy Brussel Sprouts [sesame soy dressing, siracha & kewpie mayonnaise]

Kevin F – 2007 Domaine Barmes-Buecher Riesling Hengst

Course 5: Sauternes
11) A selection of: Sesame Balls with sticky rice and red bean paste, Sticky Rice Balls with black sesame paste, and Golden Fried Buns with condensed milk

Steve C – 2005 Château Rieussec Sauternes

No wines declared yet:

Kelly W – TBD
Albert B – TBD***
Albert B – TBD***

*** White: Age Sancerre (probably mid-late '90th something like Jadis) or William Selyem unoaked chard or dry German Riesling
Demi: Something from Alsace(ZH or Boxler) - aged 10-15 year
Red: California PN from mid 90’s Flowers, WS or something similar

Thanks everyone for attending and bringing great wines. The food was tasty, and they did a petty good job putting it together for us, although the leisurely pace caused us to almost run out of wine!

Also, welcome back RonK (and welcome to Boston SteveC)!

Looking forward to the next one…did I hear someone mention SQN???

I’ve posted some photos on my Facebook blog, but here’s the final menu and wines:

Course 1:

1. Sally Ling’s Cucumber Salad [crispy English cucumber with sesame peppercorn oil]
  2. Three Stuffed Dumpling Sampler (3 per person–shrimp or pork or vegetable)
  3. Sally Ling’s Vegetable Spring Rolls [crispy rolls with cabbage, black mushroom, carrots]

2002 Moët & Chandon Champagne Cuvée Dom Pérignon
2007 Vilmart & Cie Champagne Coeur de Cuvée
2009 Pierre Gimonnet Champagne Blanc de Blancs Brut Fleuron

Course 2:
4) Steamed Whole LIVE Sea Bass [finished with ginger & scallions, soy]
5) Grand Marnier Shrimp [crispy shrimp with creamy orange citrus glaze, DOTN]

1969 Schloss Reinhartshausen Erbacker Riesling [amazingly still alive, despite a scary cork!]
20?? Trimbach Riesling Cuvée Frédéric Emile [fault]
2012 Williams Selyem Chardonnay Unbaked [squeaky dry wine; lovely pairing with shrimp]
2015 Dönnhoff Oberhäuser Leistenberg Riesling Kabinett

Course 3:
6) Minced Chicken Soong in Lettuce Leaves [light with a savory plum sauce, delicious]
7) Lion’s Head Meatball with Baby Bok Choy [amazingly light, tender pork-shrimp-leek meatball in Chef’s pan sauce]
8) Wok-roasted String Beans with Minced Mustard Greens

2000 August Kesseler Spätburgunder Cuvée Max
2005 Bodegas Vega-Sicilia Ribera del Duero Valbuena 5°
2011 Cirq Pinot Noir TreeHouse [from Kosta Browne, my WOTN]
2012 Myriad Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon Beckstoffer Dr. Crane Vineyard [mailing list-only, an amazingly powerful wine]
2015 Domaine des Rosiers Moulin-à-Vent

[LOL, at this point we were pretty much drinking red wines and ignoring pairings. When we started to run low, someone actually went into the grocery next door and bought the Beaujolais, which for future reference is a good option to know about.]

Course 4:
9) Ma La Sichuan Spicy Vermicelli with Cilantro & Cucumber [spicy tongue tingling cold noodles]
10) Crispy Brussel Sprouts [delicious sesame soy dressing, siracha & kewpie mayonnaise]

2004 Albert Boxler Riesling Sommerberg Vendange Tardive
2007 Domaine Barmes-Buecher Riesling Hengst
2009 Joh. Jos. Prüm Graacher Himmelreich Riesling Spätlese

Course 5:
11) A selection of: Sesame Balls with sticky rice and red bean paste, Sticky Rice Balls with black sesame paste, and Golden Fried Buns with condensed milk

2005 Château Rieussec Sauternes [still young, come back in a few years]